Notifications
Clear all

How to use 0.15mm nozzle with current firmware on a MK3s  

RSS
johannes.busch
(@johannes-busch)
How to use 0.15mm nozzle with current firmware on a MK3s

Hey,

i changed my nozzle to a 0.15mm nozzle. If i slice in Slicer PE, i get the message that my nozzle diameter is wrong. Also, in the HW setting of the printer, i can not change it to anything different than the "supported" nozzle sizes.

Do i need to alter the firmware? or the gcode? i am lost. 

Posted : 09/10/2019 4:00 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: How to use 0.15mm nozzle with current firmware on a MK3s

That is just a warning you can ignore. I believe you can disable it in the printer settings menu if desired. If the actual nozzle mounted matches the slicer settings, and those are correct (nozzle size, extrusion width and layer height) it will be fine. 

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 09/10/2019 8:56 pm
johannes.busch
(@johannes-busch)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks! I will try 🙂

Posted : 10/10/2019 8:04 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@johannes-busch

Welche Slicer-Einstellungen verwendest Du? Hast du schon die ersten Erfahrungen mit der 0.15er gemacht?

Danke!

LG, Karl

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 05/12/2019 3:11 pm
jshidisky
(@jshidisky)

This was a question that just came up for me. I finished assembling my MK3S printer today and noted that the nozzle settings were for .25, .40, and .60, and like you I want to run .15. I have been using Slic3r PE for a while now with .15 nozzle on my MK2S and I have no problems or errors, as long as I set the first layer height to .15, even if all the other layers are at .05 (HO model RR train parts). Beautiful, even down to the rivets. I haven't tried using the smaller nozzles on the 3S yet; want to do some printing with the standard before I switch over. Will try to see what happens if I ignore an error. I want to know if I can disable it, but I can't figure out how to do that yet.

Posted : 08/03/2020 10:50 pm
Cowen
(@cowen)

i use a 0.3 nozzle and just ignore that warning, my prints come out great and i have no problems at all. Just make sure the slicer has the right nozzle size and your good to go.

Posted : 13/03/2020 11:19 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Ignore the message, or simply disable it. I find that feature less than useful as I use a range of nozzle sizes myself.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 13/03/2020 1:33 pm
jshidisky
(@jshidisky)

Okay, thanks for the input. A couple of questions, though. How do you disable it?

Another question. Somebody with more experience? Should you increase the extruder temperature if going to a smaller-sized nozzle than the 'standard' .4? I was printing (on my MK2S) for about three months with a .15 nozzle, probably 200+ items, with the temp set at 5° lower than the recommended max for the particular filament. No problems at all. Then I got a clog. I had a spare .15 nozzle so I put it on, and I have had nothing but problems since that time. Same brand. I have a new .15 nozzle for my MK3S, but I'm leery about printing because let's face it, .15 nozzles aren't quite cheap! Any advice? I've been unsuccessful in breaking the clogs on those two nozzles, by the way, either on or off the printer.

Posted : 13/03/2020 11:04 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

You can try bumping temps to increase flow. I'd try slowing down first. Printing is going to be very slow with a nozzle that small, no matter what you do.

Posted : 14/03/2020 2:30 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@jshidisky

It's important to reduce the volumetric speed to 8-10mm3/s. If necessary, reduce also the extrusion multiplier and deactivate retraction. Firstlayerhigh 0.1, other layers from 0.05 to 0.1. Firstlayer speed 15mm/s. This was my experiences with printing 0.1 and 0.15mm nozzles.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 14/03/2020 5:50 pm
Cowen
(@cowen)

when using sutch a small nozzle its best to have a filter on the filament to keep dust and other particles out from clogging it.

Posted : 14/03/2020 5:57 pm
Share: