Clear all

Enclosure Advice  

RSS
AndyInSwindon
(@andyinswindon)
Trusted Member
Enclosure Advice

Hello All,

I'm after some advice from the wise elders of the forum regarding Mk3S enclosure builds.

I have recently built the enclosure below using some self desgined brackets printed in Prusament PetG, and 4mm polycarbonate sheeting.  The primary objective is to have one unit capable of reliably printing in ABS.

Before I get a raft of responses telling me to locate the electronics outside the enclosure, it's not an option.  There are two fans (speed can be varied), 120mm, 12V, one blowing outside air onto the PSU, the other blowing outside air onto the Einsy.  There is an extractor fan (non filtered, that will come later) removing the air to the rear.

I have a temp/humidity panel mounted inside, and it reads a stable 40% humidity, and a stable temperature, the value of which varies with the heat bed, but considerably lower.  There is ventilation provided by the joins in the panels, so it's not a hermetically sealed box.  The front door is attached magnetically and can be removed for PETG/PLA etc.  It prints beautifully when printing these materials, and the enclosure considerably dampens the sound.

However.

The second picture shows a test cube printed in clear ABS.  I'd love to tell you what brand, but the box is long gone, and the reel simply has a sticker saying 'ABS'.  Compared to a cube I printed without an enclosure, it is a little better, however, it doesn't take a genius to notice it's somewhat wonky!  The inside temp was around 28.5 degrees (C) when printing, humidity around 40% (I live in rainy UK - and the humidity has no noticeable effect on anything else I'm printing.  I keep my reels in dry bags with silica gel when not in use, and have a box mounted on the top of the enclosure for reel feed, with silica gel in it).  The settings were the current PrusaSlicer generic ABS bed and nozzle temp.  There is no draught from the fans across the print bed, and the part cooling fan was off the entire time.

So, what am I missing, and what do I need to introduce to ensure a better ABS print?  I have also printed in ASA (Prusament ASA) and apart from a little bit of elephants foot, that printed perfectly.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance 🙂

Posted : 17/03/2020 11:03 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: Enclosure Advice

@apromain

If the ABS filament is a bit older, i would dry it in the oven and print the test cube again. Turn off the nozzle fan and use a brim. A good enclosure temperature would be 40 degrees C. Are you sure it's ABS? Check if it dissolves in acetone.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 19/03/2020 12:20 am
AndyInSwindon
(@andyinswindon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@karl-herbert

Many thanks for the advice Karl, I'll try drying the reel, it has been around a little while (and it's definitely ABS).

Thanks for the handy table too.

Posted : 19/03/2020 4:44 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

Apparently the latest RC of PrusaSlicer does full height brim, could maybe help?

Posted : 19/03/2020 3:15 pm
theycallmejohn
(@theycallmejohn)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @apromain

I see this in my enclosure on small parts for ABS when the nozzle fan is off.  I had a similar issue, (See post: https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-how-do-i-print-this-printing-help/bowed-at-base-overheating/ ) turned on the nozzle fan in the setting and the problem went away.

Posted : 21/04/2020 6:24 pm
Share: