Notifications
Clear all

Does Octoprint Firmware Update plug-in work with Prusa?  

RSS
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Does Octoprint Firmware Update plug-in work with Prusa?

I attempted to use the Ocotoprint Firmware Updater plugin to update my MK3S firmware to version 3.8.1 and... it didn’t go well. It looked like it started updating and printer screen said something like “updating firmware, don’t turn off” (don’t recall the exact text), then I got an error that communication failed. Trying to flash a couple more time didn’t help. I finally had to flash firmware through a PC and PrusaSlicer (which I think wound up being somewhat corrupted as my prints started doing very strange things, so I flashed back to 3.8.0 and it came back to normal). 
For the Firmware Updater I’m using avrdude as instructed.  Has anyone had success using this plugin?  If so, can you please post what settings you use?

Thanks. 

Posted : 08/11/2019 4:04 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Does Octoprint Firmware Update plug-in work with Prusa?

Yes, after I got the configuration right, it has worked for me on several updates. Here are the settings I used:

It sounds like you must have avrdude installed, but do confirm it. Other than that, if firmware update go awry, definitely do a factory reset and re-calibrate everything. It's a bummer, but you may otherwise experience intermittent issues.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 08/11/2019 4:41 pm
EPL liked
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks bobstro.  Funny, that's exactly how I have my plugin setup and, yes, avrdude is installed.  Did you need to change anything in your "Advanced Settings" or "Pre-Flash and Post-Flash Settings"?

Thankfully my printer seems to be running ok now that I re-flashed back to 3.8.0, so hopefully I won't have to do a full reset. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Posted : 08/11/2019 6:40 pm
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Oh, one more thought.  Is it possible that some plugins are affecting the firmware updater?  I'm running a number of them plus Octoscreen. Should I re-start Octoprint in "safe-mode" next time I try an update?

Posted : 08/11/2019 6:41 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I've got a fair selection of plugins enabled and have not noticed any interactions. Safe mode is worth a shot... though I'm not sure the firmware updater will work in that mode. I didn't change anything under the pre- or post-flash or advanced settings. It sounds like you got as far as updating according to the printer status message, but it's failing for some reason. Have you tried another cable? Do functions via USB otherwise work reliably?

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 08/11/2019 7:02 pm
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

@bobstro

I think the cable is ok, since I've been printing through it for quite a while without an issue, and I also used the same cable when I updated the firmware from the PC.  You're right that firmware updater won't work in safe-mode since safe-mode disables all plugins (kind of dumb of me not to realize that).  I wonder if Octoscreen is to blame, or maybe I just got unlucky, but I'm kind of hesitant to try it again now. 🙂

Posted : 08/11/2019 7:48 pm
Pedroid
(@pedroid)
Trusted Member

A thing a noticed when using the firmware update plugin was that it was not possible to change the language afterwards. 

Posted : 09/11/2019 8:54 am
x50arm
(@x50arm)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @mdaneman

Oh, one more thought.  Is it possible that some plugins are affecting the firmware updater?  I'm running a number of them plus Octoscreen. Should I re-start Octoprint in "safe-mode" next time I try an update?

Did you find out what was causing your problem?  I just tried to update my firmware and had the same issue.

Posted : 11/11/2019 3:39 am
Mike Daneman
(@mike-daneman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @allen-m2
Posted by: @mdaneman

Did you find out what was causing your problem?  I just tried to update my firmware and had the same issue.

Frankly, I'm kind of paranoid to try it again, as I don't want my printer to get screwed up and have to do a factory reset.   I may try again sometime in the future, but I think I'll stick to using PrusaSlicer + USB cable in the near term.

Posted : 14/11/2019 7:17 pm
MGucciard
(@mgucciard)

@bobstro

Can confirm - worked flawlessly just as presented.

Thank you!

Posted : 15/03/2021 3:30 pm
Share: