Notifications
Clear all

300x300x420 Printer with Prusa MK3 features  

RSS
Mandragora
(@mandragora)
300x300x420 Printer with Prusa MK3 features
Hello fellow designers.
After thinking of copying Prusa MK3/320 zaribo printer and trying to improve it a lot, which requires building it from scratch with a lot of custom parts I've changed approach.
I decided to go nuts with designing my own version of cartesian printer with bed moving in Z (like all CoreXY printers). Igus bearings, custom quick exchange extruder, etc. I am not a software developer so deeply customised software is not an option to do it myself. Having features from MK3 would be perfect.
What I want to achieve is 300x300x420 printer with Moon steppers, MK52 style bed and cubic 20x20 profile frame. Frame will be used to create heated chamber, all motors will be outside of it keep them cool, this allows to keep chamber temperature to around 90C - welcome PC printing.

Most of parts are "easy" and were tested by others. And I went to the point that getting good 300x300 heat bed (500W+) with spring steel sheet is pretty hard.
I am electronics and PCB engineer so I can design one, question is if anyone else did it already. If not I want some feedback if anyone would like to buy it so the batch will be a lot cheaper (total cost can be same for 1 and 10 pieces).
Anyone interested?
Kind regards,
Posted : 25/04/2019 9:35 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: 300x300x420 Printer with Prusa MK3 features

I would be interested.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 25/04/2019 10:02 pm
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member

There are many CoreXY printer projects available. I would suggest to pick one and approach the community around it. In this forum you will find mostly people around Prusa i3 style printers. Based on your description there is nothing you can reuse from MK2/MK3 for your project. Don't expect too much feedback.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 25/04/2019 10:39 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

Here are some that have done it:  

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mega-Prusa-i3-Rework-8-x-Build-Volume/

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1848806

There are more.  There is not a reason why a larger Prusa is not possible.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 26/04/2019 12:46 am
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
Posted by: charles.h13

Here are some that have done it:  

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mega-Prusa-i3-Rework-8-x-Build-Volume/

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1848806

There are more.  There is not a reason why a larger Prusa is not possible.  

mandragora doesn't just want to build a bigger printer. He decided to build a CoreXY printer instead. Modding i3 for bigger size is definitely possible as your useful links prove it.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 26/04/2019 1:27 am
Mandragora
(@mandragora)
Topic starter answered:

Like I stated in 2nd sentence, I want to build Cartesian printer, not CoreXY. What I want to change is bed and Y movement. Bed will be moved up and down in Z with lead screws. X carriage (slightly modified) will be moving along Y on linear rails instead up and down. This way MK3 software need to be adjusted in "only" bed size and mesh bed lvling, which is totally possible with this community. (I mean "only" cause I can't correctly estimate how much work it is since it is not within my skills). I can take care for most mechanical and electrical aspects of this printer, also some manufacturing processes.
But again, it is not totally worth so much effort for only 1 printer, but surely I want to build one.

That is why I am asking to find potential participants, preferably from europe (shipping to USA from Poland can be very costly).

Kind regards,

Posted : 26/04/2019 3:54 pm
Steve
(@steve-4)
Estimable Member

I'm interested, but the entire reprap printer world is based on open loop design.  This results in all sorts of problems, not the least mispositioning (bad print closure, etc.).  I am considering a closed loop design using some of the more modern motion control technologies out there.  This would require a significant change to the control software (no more stepper motor drivers), but in the end would produce much better prints with a higher success rate.

I would be interested in seeing what others have done in this area.

Senior Life member of IEEE.

Posted : 02/05/2019 1:51 pm
Share: