Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Downloading newer version of PrusaSlicer  

RSS
Buckeye Slicer
(@buckeye-slicer)
Eminent Member
Downloading newer version of PrusaSlicer

I am currently running version 2.1.0 Windows.  Should I download the 2.2.0 version?, and to get that updated I notice that the site also says drivers ect.

So is this updating the actual printer also? It is about 8 months old and is the MK3s.  

Posted : 16/07/2020 11:30 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Downloading newer version of PrusaSlicer

No the drivers mentioned will be windows drivers.  Used for things like connecting to the printer over serial when performing an actual printer firmware update.

The package file on the main Prusa website is for the general end user.  If you want direct access to just Slicer updates then https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases is where you want to go.  From there you can also download and install Alpha releases (if you ar feeling brave), beta releases (if feeling less brave) as well as the official full releases.  
You can also read all the full change logs to see exactly what has been changed/bugs fixed etc.

Just download the archive you want, extract it somewhere and then run the .exe file.    Set up a shortcut to make it more convenient to launch.  Done.

Theres also a similar repository for printer firmware, so you can get that too.

Posted : 17/07/2020 6:31 am
Buckeye Slicer
(@buckeye-slicer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

Are you able to upgrade firmware for printer through Octoprint, and is the new version of firmware stable. I noticed someone saying they have problems after downloading.

Posted : 17/07/2020 3:47 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

I’m not sure about updating through octoprint as I don’t use it myself. I do vaguely recall someone mentioning you can though in another thread if it’s set up correctly. 
The 3.9.x firmwares have a LOT of changes , especially with something called linear advance. Older firmwares used LA 1 and new one uses LA1.5 which uses totally different values. I think a lot of the problems have been people printing gcode sliced for the old settings. It’s supposed to convert the values automatically but it doesn’t seem 100% on that. 
There have also been changes to do with motor driving and stepper control
I think if you clear the eeprom fully and then go through all the calibration etc  then you stand a good chance of everything being ok. Especially if you reslice things with the new Slicer filament profiles that have the LA1.5 settings in them. 

Personally when it comes to printer firmware I like to run a few versions behind, if it works then don’t fix it 😊. There hasn’t been anything I really really need or want in the new firmware. 
When it comes to Slicers though I’m the opposite. I’m running the pre alpha build of Prusa Slicer 2.3.0 and I always use the latest version of Super Slicer. At least with the slicers you can check the previews and run several versions side by side so it’s low risk. 

Posted : 17/07/2020 4:23 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

The only reason I found firmware v3.9 compelling was to fix the problem with the filament sensor causing layer shifts in v3.8.1. If you're not having that problem, there's no need to update, although v3.9 does have some nice features.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 17/07/2020 5:39 pm
Share: