RSS
Knickohr
(@knickohr)
Member Moderator
Re: BETA: Slic3r 1.33.3 Prusa Edition

Wishlist for the next versions :

- random placement of the objects at the heatbed
- filamentcount in mm not mm³ (or both)
- stable layer editing on/off, slic3r crashes sometimes after pressing the button

Thomas

Posted : 14/02/2017 10:38 pm
Vojtěch Bubník
(@vojtech-bubnik)
Member Admin

New Slic3r beta:
https://github.com/prusa3d/Slic3r/releases/tag/version_1.33.4

Enjoy,
Vojtech

Posted : 15/02/2017 7:02 pm
Vojtěch Bubník
(@vojtech-bubnik)
Member Admin

> - random placement of the objects at the heatbed

I don't understand.

> - filamentcount in mm not mm³ (or both)

My thinking as well.

> - stable layer editing on/off, slic3r crashes sometimes after pressing the button

Does it happen with the new 1.33.4?
Do you have the background processing enabled? Is the slicing process running in the background when it happens?
If it is still a problem, please create an issue in the tracker:

https://github.com/prusa3d/Slic3r/issues

Posted : 15/02/2017 7:04 pm
Knickohr
(@knickohr)
Member Moderator

I don't understand.
Don't place the printing object always in the center of the heatbed, Randomize it around the center. I think this is better for the PEI, not placing the object always on the same place.

> - filamentcount in mm not mm³ (or both)

My thinking as well.
😎

> - stable layer editing on/off, slic3r crashes sometimes after pressing the button

Does it happen with the new 1.33.4?
Just updating at the moment, a fast and dirty test says now is all OK.

Do you have the background processing enabled? Is the slicing process running in the background when it happens?
No background process, settings are default.

Thomas

Posted : 15/02/2017 9:36 pm
mavu
 mavu
(@mavu)
Estimable Member

I don't understand.
Don't place the printing object always in the center of the heatbed, Randomize it around the center. I think this is better for the PEI, not placing the object always on the same place.

If I have a vote, I'm against it. If you would include something like this, then as an option.

And if you do it right, you would need to keep track of footprints of prints, and try to distribute them evenly over an extended amount of time. Which is almost impossible, because not everything I slice is printed at all, or pirinted on the same printer.

I think this is a thing where its better for everyone if you just uncheck the "autocenter" option and move the prints by hand where on the bed you want them.

Posted : 16/02/2017 2:16 pm
WildBill
(@wildbill)

Is there no way to get Slic3r to spit out an estimated time to print?

And... Can the top/bottom fill patterns be separate choices?

Posted : 17/02/2017 5:41 am
WildBill
(@wildbill)

There's an issue with speed. I, for the first time tonight, tried upping the printing speed.

If I make a 20mm x 20mm x 0.6mm solid with a 5mm hole in the center, and start upping the speeds, it doesn't seem to want to print anything except the hole and first/last infill layer any faster than about 60mm/sec.

I have gone down the speed options, and set everything to 120mm/sec, but that is ignored on all but the first/last layer and hole.

Posted : 19/02/2017 4:48 am
gabriele.s2
(@gabriele-s2)
Estimable Member

You need to change the acceleration settings as well as the speed settings.

Furthermore, there is a "minimum time per layer" setting that you'll want to lower for high speed printing.

You will also need to increase the nozzle temperature if the filament is flowing much faster (it needs time to melt!).

- Gab

Posted : 21/02/2017 2:45 am
ron
 ron
(@ron)
Estimable Member

"minimum time per layer"
I don't find where the setting is (1.33.8) . I would like to increase it. Thank you.

Posted : 27/02/2017 5:50 pm
christophe.p
(@christophe-p)
Member Moderator

"minimum time per layer"
I don't find where the setting is (1.33.8) . I would like to increase it. Thank you.

It's in filament settings, cooling.

I'm like Jon Snow, I know nothing.

Posted : 27/02/2017 6:40 pm
Thystonius
(@thystonius)

I have been experimenting with variable layer height and I really agree with the comments "very intuitive".
I really like how easy it is to add the detail where I need it. At least from my prints thus far (five) the extra details are VERY apparent in the print.

So I have two points / questions:
First, it would be nice to have both some kind of numeric value visible by layer when editing to make it easier to smoothly transition from smaller layers to thicker, and coupled with that maybe some keyboard shortcuts to increase / decrease height one unit at a time. I believe that would round out the capabilities by allowing that level of fine grained control.

Second, I'd like to help with development (specifically the Prusa edition), should I just be sending pull requests to the main github for Slic3r?
I really like what is happening here and want to help, the above for example is relatively low risk, but it all take time and effort.

Congratulations again on a great feature!

Posted : 28/02/2017 2:57 pm
Vojtěch Bubník
(@vojtech-bubnik)
Member Admin

Nathan,

> I have been experimenting with variable layer height and I really agree with the comments "very intuitive".
> I really like how easy it is to add the detail where I need it. At least from my prints thus far (five) the extra details are VERY apparent in the print.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

> First, it would be nice to have both some kind of numeric value visible by layer when editing to make it easier to smoothly transition from smaller layers to thicker, and coupled with that maybe some keyboard shortcuts to increase / decrease height one unit at a time. I believe that would round out the capabilities by allowing that level of fine grained control.

Some numeric visualization is certainly needed.

> Second, I'd like to help with development (specifically the Prusa edition), should I just be sending pull requests to the main github for Slic3r?

I am borrowing the code from Alessandro's repository and vice versa. If you want the feature to land into the Slic3r Prusa Edition, then please send pull requests to the Prusa3D fork and if Alessandro finds it useful, he will likely adapt it. Or you may try your luck and provide the pull request to Alessandro and if I find it useful, I will get it anyway. You may as well provide a pull request to both of us.

> I really like what is happening here and want to help, the above for example is relatively low risk, but it all take time and effort.

I appreciate any help. Currently I am the only person working on Slic3r at Prusa Research. I should be working mainly on the computational kernel, so any help on the UI is most welcome and our customers will be happy for that.

Vojtech

Posted : 01/03/2017 7:55 pm
mhackney
(@mhackney)
Eminent Member

I had no problem using variable layer height in the previous release. I just updated to 1.33.8 and now it doesn't work. The little Layer Editing button slightly highlights when I click it but the UI doesn't appear. Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.3

Anyone else have a problem with this?

Musings and Experiments on the Art and Science of 3D Printing
Posted : 01/03/2017 9:47 pm
ron
 ron
(@ron)
Estimable Member

Updated to 1.33.8.
Layer editing freeze Slic3r every time, then I don't use it. My Graphic card is a nVidia Quadro K620. Information in case there is some OpenGL issues or other stuff linked to the display. I don't think I have other special spec on my computer which I qualify very reliable.
I congratulate you for the new supports design.

Posted : 02/03/2017 3:22 am
herve.t
(@herve-t)

> i was hoping it would work on my 10.8.5 Mac Pro...but as all new versions, it still doesn't 😕

Sorry, we build on OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Cannot you update your OSX?

I decided to buy another hard disk and install El Capitan on it... so i will be able to use Slic3r Prusa Edition.
Now, just wait to receive my MK2 😎

Posted : 02/03/2017 3:54 am
ron
 ron
(@ron)
Estimable Member

I noticed an issue with support parameters.
If you upgrade to le beta release (1.33.8 in my case), the "XY separation between an object and its support" seems to be set to 0 per default even if it is displayed 50%. You have to edit the value manually the first time to get something different from 0.

Posted : 06/03/2017 10:47 pm
scott.m6
(@scott-m6)

The newest version of Slic3r 1.34.1 doesn't seem to run on OS X 10.12.4 either. I just bought a i3 MK2S and have a Multi-Material upgrade kit on backorder. It's quite disappointing to discover that I won't be able to utilize my current system with this software.

OS X 10.9.x, Mavericks may have been the cat's meow at one time, but quite candidly, OS X 10.12 has been around for well over six months now. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a software revision, to accommodate the current version of OS X. 🙄

Posted : 14/05/2017 11:00 am
cory.w
(@cory-w)
Estimable Member

I'm running prusa latest version of slic3r on latest Mac OS with no issues :/

Posted : 14/05/2017 10:10 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: