Notifications
Clear all

Unexpected issue after turning printer off  

RSS
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Unexpected issue after turning printer off

Hello all
I turn my printer fully off after I'm done using it to conserve energy and keep the screen from keeping me up at night (The printer is in my bedroom). Anyway, every time I turn the printer back on, it seems that the Z-axis calibration has reset, and it's quite annoying to recalibrate the Z axis every single time I want to use the printer when I get home from work. Is this normal or is their something wrong with my printer? (everything that was "wrong" with my printer so far has been my fault, so I was curious if this was also the case)

Thanks!

Posted : 13/11/2016 3:25 am
simon.p
(@simon-p)
Trusted Member
Re: Unexpected issue after turning printer off

what do you mean with your z-axis calibration is reset?

Posted : 13/11/2016 11:07 am
Omikron
(@omikron)
Estimable Member

I'm guessing he means that his live-adjust setting is reset, or that the printer keeps displaying "the calibration needed" message.

Posted : 13/11/2016 7:11 pm
Nigel
(@nigel)
Honorable Member

Did you turn off your printer after the final cooldown? If not that way may lead to filament clog. The loss of settings is a failure of saving settings.

Nigel
Life is keeping interested and excited by knowledge and new things.

Posted : 14/11/2016 5:40 am
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

Did you turn off your printer after the final cooldown? If not that way may lead to filament clog. The loss of settings is a failure of saving settings.

I'm guessing he means that his live-adjust setting is reset, or that the printer keeps displaying "the calibration needed" message.

Merv, I'm assuming final cooldown is when the printer reaches the same temperature as the room it's in, in that case, yes. Does the printer save settings automatically or does it need to be saved manually?

Omikron, Correct, it does show the "Calibration needed" message.

Posted : 15/11/2016 3:04 pm
simon.p
(@simon-p)
Trusted Member

did you run the v2calibration gcode?

Posted : 15/11/2016 4:27 pm
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

I believe I did but I can run it again just to be 100% sure

Posted : 15/11/2016 5:02 pm
PJR
 PJR
(@pjr)
Antient Member Moderator

Alex

Ensure that the V2Calibration runs to the end; don't cancel the print at any time.

Peter

Please note: I do not have any affiliation with Prusa Research. Any advices given are offered in good faith. It is your responsibility to ensure that by following my advice you do not suffer or cause injury, damage…

Posted : 15/11/2016 5:29 pm
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

Alex

Ensure that the V2Calibration runs to the end; don't cancel the print at any time.

Peter

The V2Calibration ran perfectly fine

Posted : 16/11/2016 12:48 am
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

Yes, I did run the V2Calibration gcode. Ran perfectly fine.

Posted : 16/11/2016 1:04 am
Nigel
(@nigel)
Honorable Member

Oops forgot to say run the latest v2calibration gcode. After . That may help.

Nigel
Life is keeping interested and excited by knowledge and new things.

Posted : 17/11/2016 4:32 am
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

Oops forgot to say run the latest v2calibration gcode. After . That may help.

I'll download it and run it when I get home. I ran the one that came with my printer and it changed nothing, just FYI.

Posted : 17/11/2016 2:20 pm
JohnnyricoMC
(@johnnyricomc)
Estimable Member

It will probably indeed be the v2calibration.gcode on your suppliad SD card being older than the one needed to disable that message.

Posted : 17/11/2016 3:10 pm
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

It will probably indeed be the v2calibration.gcode on your suppliad SD card being older than the one needed to disable that message.
Will that also solve the issue of Z-Calibration resetting every time I completely power down the printer?

Posted : 17/11/2016 7:30 pm
JohnnyricoMC
(@johnnyricomc)
Estimable Member

Yes. What happens is: the most current v2calibration.gcode contains a G-code command which will tell the firmware to reset the flag which causes the message to appear.

If you're curious, vojtěch.b3 has a more in-depth explanation: http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk2-f23/new-3-0-8-firmware-released--t1642-s20.html#p12786 and

Posted : 17/11/2016 8:34 pm
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

Yes. What happens is: the most current v2calibration.gcode contains a G-code command which will tell the firmware to reset the flag which causes the message to appear.

If you're curious, vojtěch.b3 has a more in-depth explanation: http://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk2-f23/new-3-0-8-firmware-released--t1642-s20.html#p12786 and
Alright, I'll do that when I get home. Seems pretty easy as well!

Posted : 17/11/2016 9:08 pm
alex.c3
(@alex-c3)
Topic starter answered:

I don't know if the Z-Axis is meant to go to Zero every time the printer is turned off and on again, but here's what I'm seeing on my side.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6lsaKH21bZOR1dFcG1DN281T28
Here's a video I took of everything I did.

Posted : 18/11/2016 1:50 am
Share: