Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] extruder clicking  

RSS
graysonb759
(@graysonb759)
extruder clicking

My printer started making clicking noises after the first 2 prints and I believe it to be coming from the extruder. I have tried tightening and loosening the door that tensions the filament itself, readjusting the doors bearing shaft to center it, playing with the hot-end temp by 10 degrees, and doing a cold pull to no success. The only thing I could think of that could have caused this is my first layer calibration was too low for one test and blocked the nozzle from extruding for about 10 seconds and could have pushed some PLA into a place it should not be, but it is printing fine with no skipping or stopping of the flow so I'm not sure. any help is appreciated, ty!

This topic was modified 4 years ago by graysonb759
Posted : 10/06/2020 11:22 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: extruder clicking

Move extruder to 100 mm, and extrude by hand, is stream of filament thick enough, it also should stream in a straight line.

Could be clogged , if it is only a thin stream.

Try different filament.

Posted : 11/06/2020 8:14 am
ggeh
 ggeh
(@ggeh)
Eminent Member

my extruder is clicking also but its not advancing the pla filament when it starts clicking. It sounds like the feed sprocket tryies to feed but then jump to the next tooth. I remove the filament and there is a slight balling on the end. I blew the dust off the fans but it seems like it starts when it heats up. I have a i3 mk3 and using prusa purple pla filament I printed a couple of 10 hour prints before this started. the temp in the room is about 85 degrees F not sure where to start?

Thanks Gary

Posted : 30/06/2020 7:38 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@gary-g4

Print in a cooler environment or actively cool the extruder stepper with a fan. For some PLA filaments 30 degrees Celsius environment temp is close to the limit. I think with PETG or similar filaments you won't have the problem.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 30/06/2020 8:42 pm
ggeh
 ggeh
(@ggeh)
Eminent Member

@karl-herbert Thank you very much I switched to PETG filament as you suggested and no more clicking and my prints are printing fine now.

Thank for your help,

Gary

Posted : 06/07/2020 11:21 pm
Share: