Notifications
Clear all

TL-Smoother  

RSS
andrey.o
(@andrey-o)
TL-Smoother

Who can say, it is worth buying a TL-Smoother.

Posted : 10/01/2018 6:49 am
3d-gussner
(@3d-gussner)
Reputable Member Prusa-Translations
Re: TL-Smoother

Hi, as the Prusa i3 MK3 uses genuine parts as the Ultimachine EINSY board with awesome Trinamic TMC 2130 stepper drivers you not gonna need these. Trinamic stepper 2130 drivers smooth the waves internally, checkout their website for more information if you need.

There are few great boards using Trinamic stepper drivers because of their quality like the DuetWiFi and more and more people are going to switch their stepper drivers on RAMS boards to Watterott Silentstepsticks TMC2130.

The BCN Sigma uses Trinamic stepper too.

Posted : 10/01/2018 7:41 am
Peter
(@peter-12)
Estimable Member

I would say, just going by the images you posted that looks like marketing bullshit, not reality.

Posted : 10/01/2018 7:44 am
3d-gussner
(@3d-gussner)
Reputable Member Prusa-Translations

I would say, just going by the images you posted that looks like marketing bullshit, not reality.

😀 it is called Chinese marketing
But to be fair on SOME boards they seam to help as shown by 3D Maker Noob

Posted : 10/01/2018 7:50 am
JeffJordan
(@jeffjordan)
Member Moderator

that's nothing new. already discussed here.

💡 the whole "trick" with these kind of smootherboards is that because of the two antiparallel diodes (for each stepper phase), you force the stepper driver to increase it's output voltage to be able to provide the required current. especially when you use steppers with low impedance/resistance you'll reach the required current at very low voltages. if you drive for example the x-stepper with a current of 270mA (like our prusa in "silent" mode) and you've got only a dc resistance of 3 ohm for each phase, the stepper driver gives an output of 0.81 V (at it's maximum). but at such low voltages, the transistors inside the driver are not at their favourable operating point and they tend to produce such a "ringing" (which is simply a modulation of the current with a higher frequency). that might be a problem, especially if you want to operate the stepper with so called baby- or microsteps (as the prusa does).

➡ but as far as I know the i3 mk* printers are all fitted with steppers with a higher dc-resistance and "ringing" doesn't seem to be a real problem.

dem inscheniör is' nix zu schwör...

Posted : 10/01/2018 11:39 am
Share: