Clear all

[Closed] Squeaky mk3?  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS
stahlfabrik
(@stahlfabrik)
Honorable Member
Re: Squeaky mk3?

Ok, I printed the "corrected" part in Prusa easy ABS orange.

- The part came out beautifully
- have not installed it yet (as mentioned this will take a few more days) - can't wait to find out if that solves the wiggly, squeaky belt!
- the orange is really a bit different than the MK3 orange tone

Do we know where one could buy the orange PETG that the MK3 is made from?

Posted : 17/01/2018 9:17 am
Koen Kooi
(@koen-kooi)
Eminent Member

When I was at the Prusa factory they said it's nGen from colorfabb, but were looking into changing it. Judging from the colorfabb website it matches, but jpegs are a horrible way to compare colours 🙂

Posted : 17/01/2018 12:50 pm
Impruve
(@impruve)
Estimable Member

When I was at the Prusa factory they said it's nGen from colorfabb, but were looking into changing it. Judging from the colorfabb website it matches, but jpegs are a horrible way to compare colours 🙂

I was under the impression Prusa said the parts were in PETG.... Ngen is a different material.... But that orange sure looks awesome!

Posted : 17/01/2018 3:34 pm
Koen Kooi
(@koen-kooi)
Eminent Member

I was under the impression Prusa said the parts were in PETG.... Ngen is a different material.... But that orange sure looks awesome!

It was said as an off-hand comment when pointing at the stack of spools waiting to go into the printing room, so I could have easily misheard or misremembered it.

If someone has a definitive answer, I'd like know known, since I want have any replacements/upgrades I print match the colour of the other parts 🙂

Posted : 17/01/2018 4:43 pm
stahlfabrik
(@stahlfabrik)
Honorable Member

I heard on facebook that this is the real deal:

https://www.filament-pm.com/filament-1-75-petg-orange-1-kg/p51

I ordered a spool via the German distributor.

Posted : 18/01/2018 8:03 pm
Martin Stoufer
(@martin-stoufer)
Estimable Member

Here you go- I fixed that hole in this attachment.

Looks good. Are you able to export STL from this STEP? My CAD does not like the X idler STEP. There is a tiny bit of surface missing so it does not treat it as a solid and thus no export. I can't seem to patch it.

It's up in the two bottom holes about 2/3 way in. The cavity is not a single Boolean subtraction. Maybe if you could stitch both cylinders together, you'd be good.

Posted : 19/01/2018 4:46 am
JLTX
 JLTX
(@jltx)
Reputable Member

Here you go- I fixed that hole in this attachment.

Looks good. Are you able to export STL from this STEP? My CAD does not like the X idler STEP. There is a tiny bit of surface missing so it does not treat it as a solid and thus no export. I can't seem to patch it.

It's up in the two bottom holes about 2/3 way in. The cavity is not a single Boolean subtraction. Maybe if you could stitch both cylinders together, you'd be good.

I'll take a look next.

In the meantime, I solved my squeaky Y belt and expect that same results for the X. See https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2763870
I just want to reprint this new X part before I tear it down to install the new pulley.

Posted : 20/01/2018 10:12 pm
john.n13
(@john-n13)
Estimable Member

Very nice job on the pulley! Thank you.

Posted : 20/01/2018 10:20 pm
stahlfabrik
(@stahlfabrik)
Honorable Member

Have you guys seen Josefs latest blog post?

New printed parts for the whole X axis are coming!

https://www.prusaprinters.org/original-prusa-i3-mk3-2-months/

This will fix our issues! The question is when?

As I need to rebuild parts of MK3 (scratched rods and other issues) I really will only do it when the redesigned parts are there. I have the feeling that the material does not like to be dis- and reassembled too often!

Posted : 22/01/2018 4:53 pm
JLTX
 JLTX
(@jltx)
Reputable Member

Have you guys seen Josefs latest blog post?

New printed parts for the whole X axis are coming!

https://www.prusaprinters.org/original-prusa-i3-mk3-2-months/

This will fix our issues! The question is when?

As I need to rebuild parts of MK3 (scratched rods and other issues) I really will only do it when the redesigned parts are there. I have the feeling that the material does not like to be dis- and reassembled too often!

Thanks for the heads up and link. Great update from Joseph about MK3. I look forward to the new X parts. I’ll be using my new idler pulley as well.

Posted : 22/01/2018 7:12 pm
JLTX
 JLTX
(@jltx)
Reputable Member

Very nice job on the pulley! Thank you.

Thanks. Happy to support the community.

Posted : 22/01/2018 7:15 pm
Tynted
(@tynted)

Hello,

I've got the same issue with my newly assembled MK3, although it is not squeaking; I can see that the belt is rubbing though. What I'm wondering is: do you have to remove the cover for the belt from the extruder in order to move it out of the slot? If so, do you have to undo all the extruder cable wiring to get to it? (Really don't wanna do that...)

Also, is the belt rubbing a big issue in the long term? Or will silicone grease on the side every once in a while keep it in good working order for a long time?

EDIT: Checked my belt status and I believe the values I got were 286 and 297 respectively (but this was after I messed around with trying to reposition the belt without taking the back cover off the extruder.)

Thanks in advance for responses!

Posted : 20/03/2018 6:39 am
tudor.n
(@tudor-n)

Hi all,
I have recently received the Mk3 with the latest updates of the 3D printed parts.
I have the same problem on the X axis: the belt is pusing the pulley towards the front plate and as a result the pulley is rubbing against the plate. Result: squeaking sounds and belt getting worn by rubbing against pulley lip.
I think the problem is mainly due to the pulley not being parallel to the belt orientation: the screw head on the front plate can move forward when tension is applied to the belt for 2 resons:
1. There is a higher tolerance for the screw on the front plate vs. the back plate where the nut fits tightly not allowing the screw to move much. This was mentioned before in this thread.
2. After the design update for the X idler housing, the front plate is thinner, which could allow the pulley screw to slightly squish the screw hole when the belt is tight, allowing the screw to move even more in the extruder direct, further misaligning the pulley orientation.
Opinions?

Posted : 01/07/2018 1:05 pm
JLTX
 JLTX
(@jltx)
Reputable Member

Hi all,
I have recently received the Mk3 with the latest updates of the 3D printed parts.
I have the same problem on the X axis: the belt is pusing the pulley towards the front plate and as a result the pulley is rubbing against the plate. Result: squeaking sounds and belt getting worn by rubbing against pulley lip.
I think the problem is mainly due to the pulley not being parallel to the belt orientation: the screw head on the front plate can move forward when tension is applied to the belt for 2 resons:
1. There is a higher tolerance for the screw on the front plate vs. the back plate where the nut fits tightly not allowing the screw to move much. This was mentioned before in this thread.
2. After the design update for the X idler housing, the front plate is thinner, which could allow the pulley screw to slightly squish the screw hole when the belt is tight, allowing the screw to move even more in the extruder direct, further misaligning the pulley orientation.
Opinions?

Even with the updated X end, still good idea to use dual ball bearing pulley for stability. See link in my sig for example.

Posted : 01/07/2018 6:24 pm
GaryM
(@garym)
RE: Squeaky mk3?

I'm new to Prusua but not 3d printing. The MK3S is a replacement for my old RepRap Mendel and boy has the print quality moved on 🙂

I purchased the MK3S as a kit and it went together fine this weekend with no issues. After a a couple of prints I was getting squeeking from the Y axis with a brown (belt) deposit under the front pulley. So I stripped the printer down again to see what is going on.

It is my opinon that the front pully bearing is not correctly supported. The center of the bearing sits on the threaded part of the screw which is slightly undersize because of the thread. In addition the bearing itself can move left & right causing the pulley to wander over the screw.

My approach to fix this has been to print some little bearing support washers that drop into the pulley and secure the center of the bearing between the sides of the yoke. The belt still seems to pull to one side but the squeak has gone.

Posted : 01/06/2020 4:06 pm
GaryM
(@garym)
RE: Squeaky mk3?

Re-reading the posts I see that on page 1 Rotarypower101 also summarised the same. I have now stripped the X-axis and added the washers to that pully also. My quick and dirty fix for the washers can be found here.

There is a smaller and larger washer. Both have a chamfered edge and this must be placed towards the bearing in the pully to ensure that only the bearing is gripped when bolted back up. As with the printer instructions do not overtighten the pulley belt to ensure it still rotates.

Posted : 02/06/2020 3:47 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: