Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Prusa randomly resetting & not printing  

RSS
jordan
(@jordan)
Prusa randomly resetting & not printing

Hi there,

Today I noticed our Prusa i3 MK3 was having several problems. First off, the console would reset itself randomly, as if I pressed the X button but I didn't. This issue is a hit or miss. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. However, I can't find a consistent reason as to why and it makes it very frustrating to use.

When I did get to work without resetting I ran into another issue: The Printer won't print! The Prusa will heat up, self-calibrate, begin to print for exactly 2 seconds and then stop... Forever. There's no error. The Screen has stopped counting time and is more or less frozen. I can still access the settings and reset the Prusa, but resetting causes it to stall. I've tried it with several prints. Same problem, so it's not the file.

It was working up until this happened, so I'm stumped as to why this is happening. We just got the Prusa about 2 months ago and it's been more or less fine before this. Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it?

Posted : 26/06/2019 1:06 am
JBinFL
(@jbinfl)
Reputable Member
RE: Prusa randomly resetting & not printing

Initial suggestion is to turn off the filament sensor in the settings menu and see if that helps.  If you have been using it for a while the filament sensor can get dirty and cause weird errors.  If that does help, then blow out the sensor with canned air and try again.

this is assuming you didn't recently upgrade the firmware or anything  which can cause problems. 

You could also check the display knob to ensure a stray piece of filament did not get stuck in there...

Strange women, laying in ponds, distributing swords, is hardly a basis for a system of governance!

Posted : 26/06/2019 1:21 am
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member

also check you power supply and connecting wires between the supply and EINSY

Posted : 26/06/2019 2:14 am
jordan
(@jordan)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: jbinfl

Initial suggestion is to turn off the filament sensor in the settings menu and see if that helps.  If you have been using it for a while the filament sensor can get dirty and cause weird errors.  If that does help, then blow out the sensor with canned air and try again.

this is assuming you didn't recently upgrade the firmware or anything  which can cause problems. 

You could also check the display knob to ensure a stray piece of filament did not get stuck in there...

Tried turning off the Filament Sensor before posting. Unfortunately that didn't work. We also didn't update the firmware.

I also did check to see if anything was stuck or loose in the display, but didn't see anything. 🙁

This post was modified 5 years ago by jordan
Posted : 26/06/2019 6:29 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

A common cause of resets at the start of a print is a problem with the heat bed wiring or heat bed itself. The bed draws too much current and shuts down the PS for an instant. That asserts the power panic reset.  For grins, try printing without using bed heat and see if you have a different outcome.

Posted : 26/06/2019 9:45 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: jordan

[...] It was working up until this happened, so I'm stumped as to why this is happening. We just got the Prusa about 2 months ago and it's been more or less fine before this. Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it?

How stable is your SD card? I thought I was having printer hardware problems for months, then finally realized my blasted Toshiba FlashAir card has been failing. Stuck in a normal SD card and it's much more stable. I did get occasional restarts when the card would disappear mid-print, or think it was re-inserted.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 26/06/2019 2:31 pm
jordan
(@jordan)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: Tim

A common cause of resets at the start of a print is a problem with the heat bed wiring or heat bed itself. The bed draws too much current and shuts down the PS for an instant. That asserts the power panic reset.  For grins, try printing without using bed heat and see if you have a different outcome.

Just tried running a print with the bed heating turned off and you were right, that seems to be the problem. However, why is this happening and how do I fix it? The Heated Bed's been fine up to this point.

Posted : 26/06/2019 6:21 pm
jordan
(@jordan)
Topic starter answered:

Bump

Posted : 01/07/2019 9:16 pm
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member

check that the connection to the heat bed is tight and not shorting , if that's OK the contact prusa support in chat

Posted : 01/07/2019 9:27 pm
Share: