Clear all

[Closed] Loud rattling sound from PSU  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS
ethan.v2
(@ethan-v2)
Re: Loud rattling sound from PSU

I just did.

The guy in chat said it is not normal and he will check back with his colleagues.

here a video of the noise:

Were you only getting that rattling on quick Z movements or with other fast movements? I ask because I have a near identical noise happening on Y movements.

Posted : 07/02/2018 3:16 am
maxx78
(@maxx78)
Estimable Member

ouh.. can't remember ....
I think it was from Z-movement, but i think as the plastic sheet reacts to vibrations of the printer the axis does not matter.

Posted : 07/02/2018 9:24 am
structure7
(@structure7)

For anyone looking to add hot glue, silicone, RTV, etc., the rigid white sealant most often used in electronics is called silastic. So a search for RTV 162 or Dow 738. The only issue with hot glue is, depending on its compound, it may become harden over time from heat exposure and detach from components, then you're back in the PSU.

Posted : 07/02/2018 1:45 pm
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff-9)

Here's mine. I think mine is much worse than yours.

Edit: Sorry on second thought it is about the same as yours, I'm not trying to boast whose is worse. 😆

Gently touch the threaded rod, I had the same noise until I touched mine. Don't know how to fix it though...

Posted : 01/03/2018 9:31 pm
ronnie12342003
(@ronnie12342003)
Estimable Member

put some lm grease on the threaded rods

Posted : 01/03/2018 11:10 pm
Martin Stoufer
(@martin-stoufer)
Estimable Member

For those that applied silastic/silicone/foam into the back of the PSU, where did you place the applications? On the outside, inside from the vents, anywhere?

I added a zip tie 3 vents above and below the two empty bolt holes facing the bed.

Posted : 28/03/2018 4:53 am
Ulitiy
(@ulitiy)

In the middle of the right side of the PCB between two transformers there is a bridge/mosfet with a radiator. If you bend it upwards with a thin plastic rod through the hole it will stop touching the element underneath and rattle. Works for me.

Posted : 11/06/2018 7:25 pm
josh.p8
(@josh-p8)

Did anyone ever figure this out? I’m having the same problem.

Posted : 03/01/2019 10:28 pm
jason.l35
(@jason-l35)

Also getting the same ticking noise on my PSU. It's definitely the PSU.

Posted : 30/01/2019 2:39 am
steffen.k3
(@steffen-k3)

I received my MK3 at the beginning of February and the PSU was emitting a loud metallic rattling noise. I opened it and touched every part with a screw driver. After unplugging it of course. When I hit the upper part with the heatsink in the picture, it was ringing like a spring. It wasn't fixed and was only held by its legs. Its weight caused it to vibrate.

I figured hot glue might ooze around considering the heat and attached a couple of cable ties to hold the part in place. Additionally I put some hot glue on the small magnetic beads on the capacitors legs. I just noticed there are a couple more beads on the picture, but now the sound is gone.

I hope it helps. Please be careful if you open the power supply.

Posted : 24/02/2019 1:14 am
ntsarb liked
ntsarb
(@ntsarb)
RE: Loud rattling sound from PSU

@jettoblack you are right, same here. The plastic causes the noise but the real cause is the vibration of one of the components, i.e. if the vibrating component is identified and somehow fixed in place, the PSU will become more quiet (than if only the insulator sheet is fixed into position).

Posted : 14/05/2019 1:45 am
ntsarb
(@ntsarb)
RE: Loud rattling sound from PSU

@steffen-k3 you're spot on! Thank you, very helpful 🙂

Posted : 14/05/2019 2:02 am
Page 4 / 4
Share: