Notifications
Clear all

Zortrax Filaments  

RSS
jiblett1000
(@jiblett1000)
Zortrax Filaments

Hello All,

I just recently bought the mk3s. I've had my eye on the Prusa printers for a long time now and am glad I can finally say I own one. However, I am coming from (and still own) a Zortrax M200 which is super plug-n-play but also limited and almost un-hackable.

I bought my M200 during a promo which came with a mountain of their propietary filaments (z-ultrat, z-abs, etc) and years later still have said mountain. The only non Zortrax filaments I currently have is the spool that came with my mk3s.

So, I would love to be able to use these filaments (z-ultrat especially) on the mk3s, but they are proprietary and thus the available info on printing them on other machines is essentially non-existant. I've tried tweaking a bunch of different settings the past couple of days since I've received my printer but to no avail.

For reference, I printed the same part with the included PLA and it came out significantly better.

Here is a link to the z-ultrat which has a downloadable material info pdf as well.

Any ideas, advice, insight would be very welcome.

Posted : 30/06/2020 1:11 am
jiblett1000
(@jiblett1000)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Zortrax Filaments

UPDATE: I am trying a print with ASA settings. It appears to be coming out better (although still not ideal). I will report back if I can figure out anything further.

Posted : 30/06/2020 1:23 am
jiblett1000
(@jiblett1000)
Topic starter answered:

UPDATE: I now think it was mostly the fan settings that were causing issues. I don't think the fan was coming on at all before. Not sure why. Maybe because it was set to ABS with the "fan always on" option disabled. It is a small part so I think that was probably the issue. Anyhow, it is working better now.

From the research I did, the temp for z-ultrat is 260 celcius for anyone interested.

Posted : 30/06/2020 2:01 am
Paryzowy
(@paryzowy)

@jiblett1000

I am printing at 270/90 inside lack enclosure and I am having lots of success 😀 with my pastel blue z-ultrat. The standard zortrax m200 is doing 270/70 but it was not sticking to the textured bed in my case I will try 260 as well as you suggested and see if it change anything for me 

Posted : 06/09/2020 9:44 pm
Paryzowy
(@paryzowy)
Posted by: @paryzowy

@jiblett1000

I am printing at 270/90 inside lack enclosure and I am having lots of success 😀 with my pastel blue z-ultrat. The standard zortrax m200 is doing 270/70 but it was not sticking to the textured bed in my case I will try 260 as well as you suggested and see if it change anything for me 

sorry, I am using 255/100->110 😀

Posted : 06/09/2020 11:12 pm
jiblett1000
(@jiblett1000)
Topic starter answered:

@paryzowy

Sorry for the delay responding. I realized I had a typo in my account email and thus wasn't getting notifications.

Anywho, it's nice to know someone else is having some luck with the Zortrax filaments. I'm currently trying a print at 253/100->110. After looking at the two different data sheets for z-ultrat and z-abs, I realized there is a "glass transition temperature" difference between the filaments of 1.5 degrees celcius (z-ultrat needing less heat to achieve it's melting point if I'm understanding all this correctly). This isn't a huge difference but might make the difference between a great print and a decent one.

Here are the links the the data sheets:

Z-Ultrat: https://cf.zortrax.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Z-ULTRAT_Technical_Data_Sheet_eng-1.pdf

Z-ABS: https://cf.zortrax.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Z-ABS_Technical_Data_Sheet_eng-1.pdf

I will return with an update once I have done some prints at this temp.

Posted : 13/11/2020 11:53 pm
MS
 MS
(@ms)

@jiblett100

I am in the same situation I have some Zortrax Ultrat spools left from my Zortrax 200 and want to use them for my Mini+

have you any good settings to suggest?

Posted : 26/02/2022 1:57 pm
kined
(@kined)

Would love to have the best setting, I am from the same boat, was in love with my M200, now have Bambu X1, and can't even think again using my Zortrax, because of the perforated bad and speed. But the quality of the Zortrax prints is still one of the best I ever saw. Please share all updates you have on this topic

Posted : 14/06/2023 6:48 am
Share: