Notifications
Clear all

Will printing nylon destroy my powder coated sheet?  

RSS
Tellblom
(@tellblom)
Will printing nylon destroy my powder coated sheet?

As the subject says, will printing nylon destroy my powder coated sheet?

I have a Taulman Bridge spool and slic3r has settings for that but what do I have to take in consideration when using on the powder coated sheet?

Posted : 29/04/2019 6:35 pm
Vojtěch
(@vojtech)
Honorable Member
RE: Will printing nylon destroy my powder coated sheet?

Nylon will simply not stick to a PEI sheet. Smooth PEI or powder coated textured, it will not stick.

The best surface for Nylon (including Taulman Bridge) is a phenolic composite known as Textite, Garolite LE, Tufnol Whale, Hgw 2082,  PFCC 201 and many other names.  To use it with the Mk3, buy a thin sheet and glue it to a 3rd party Mk3 bare steel sheet.

PEI sheets can be made to work with a thick layer of PVA glue (glue stick). But then you're better off with a smooth PEI sheet as you'll have to use a lot of stick to fill the texture on a powder coated sheet ...

In summary: Nylon is harmless to the sheet. But to get successful prints isn't easy.

Posted : 29/04/2019 7:32 pm
Nikolai and bobstro liked
Tellblom
(@tellblom)
Topic starter answered:

Thank you. I try glue then and if that won't work I order another sheet

Posted : 30/04/2019 4:19 am
Tellblom
(@tellblom)
Topic starter answered:

So anyone that can share their setting for the MK3S for the Taulman Bridge?

Not the filament Settings, but the speed settings, Fan setting and so on.

Posted : 30/04/2019 9:27 am
Vojtěch
(@vojtech)
Honorable Member

Fan settings are included in the Filament settings. Even the speeds are partially controlled by the Filament settings (in the Cooling and Advanced sub-pages). I do not print Taulman Bridge, but do print other (carbon-filled) nylons and I'm using the standard 0.15mm Quality profile with them. I originally did a lot of tweaks in the Print and Printer tabs, too, but I've found them not to be necessary. And the Bridge filament (optimized for its ability to do bridges successfully, not a given for Nylons) is supposed to be easy to print, so I'd just go the same path and stick to the standard profiles, at least initially, unless you see any specific issues you feel you need to address.

(For a really easy to print unfilled nylon I plan to buy the ColorFabb PA Neat https://colorfabb.com/pa-neat)

Posted : 30/04/2019 10:39 am
Tellblom
(@tellblom)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks, I'll try and hope for the best 🙂 

Posted : 30/04/2019 12:07 pm
marto
(@marto)
Eminent Member

Sorry to bring back to life  an old topic.

I suceccfuly pirnted in the last few weeks Carbon fiber Nylon on my mk3 and my Crearibo ( CR10 with linear rails and full MK3s extruder assembly), both enclosed , but customer prefers just nylon for chunky part 50x60x70 mm. So today after getting a roll of PA12 from local manufacturer started the battle..

6 hours at 80 C oven and then in the drybox for direct feeding at 70 C. I am home so only spring steel sheet with smooth pei.

I went trough all the FB groups and forum posts, Printed great at 260C in Lack enclosure at about 40C with gluestick , but even at 40 mm hollow cube for extruder calibration the base started to lift , tried more gluestick, hairspray etc, no luck. Then found a post in reddit for using solid 0.2 layer of PETG under the print, so this was perfect solution for small parts, you can even use the PETG layer for about 5 to 10 prints. Halfway of my actual part the corners started to lift . Then I tried with 10 mm brim , kinda better but again 80 % into the print the corners started to lift.

Then browsing around I remembered that for ABS on open frame printer I did used draft shield in the past aaand BINGO that was it.

Works like a charm so to sum up: mk3 with smooth pei, enclosed at about 40 C ( Lack enclosure is not able to reach more and must not) with PETG 0.2 interface layer , 10 to 20 mm brim and draft shield , works even for big thick parts printed of Nylon PA12

Posted : 03/10/2020 6:09 pm
marto
(@marto)
Eminent Member

here is the setup printing

Posted : 03/10/2020 10:23 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@martin-t18

I have had good experience with nylon printing (PA12 and PA6) with Dimafix and Magigoo on the textured sheet.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 03/10/2020 11:06 pm
arjan
(@arjan)
Eminent Member
RE: ¿La impresión de nailon destruirá mi hoja con recubrimiento de polvo?

@martin-s66

hi i need to print naylon, em prusa i 3 mk3s.
You could indicate if I have to make any changes to the printer and what data I would have to put in prusaslaide.
and any advice you can give me.Thank you

Posted : 08/05/2021 5:57 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@arjan

I'm currently printing a part made of carbon nylon from 3dxtech. A nylon printing plate with a thin layer of magigoo is used. The printed part adheres great at 110 degrees C. and can be removed well after cooling down the printing plate to roomtemp.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 08/05/2021 8:59 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

@karl-herbert

Which nylon plate did you buy Karl?

Posted : 08/05/2021 9:27 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I am currently using Bondtak Nylon.  It works pretty well.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 08/05/2021 11:19 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@tim-2

I purchased a spring steel blank from Aliexpress and glued this nylon surface on one side. I use this setting only for printing nylon and carbon nylon.

wbr,

Karl

Posted : 08/05/2021 11:26 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@cwbullet

What is "Bondtak" nylon and where did you buy it?

Posted : 08/05/2021 11:36 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@karl-herbert

I meant Buildtak.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/05/2021 11:26 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @cwbullet

@karl-herbert

I meant Buildtak.  

The same one I use.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/05/2021 11:27 am
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@cwbullet

I almost thought so. But you never know and you're constantly learning.

Posted : 09/05/2021 12:48 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

Here the final product (Hook wrench ER32):

Printed with carbon nylon from 3dxtech, nozzle 0.4 tungsten carbide polished, buildtak nylon printing plate.

Posted : 09/05/2021 12:54 pm
arjan
(@arjan)
Eminent Member
RE: ¿La impresión de nailon destruirá mi hoja con recubrimiento de polvo?

@karl-herbert

Thanks, but could you tell me what settings to make in prusaslaider, there is no configuration for nylon or carbon fiber nylon, if you could indicate which parameters are appropriate in prusaslaider

Posted : 09/05/2021 11:41 pm
Share: