Notifications
Clear all

What to use to print the Lack enclosure parts?  

RSS
buckettraveler
(@buckettraveler)
What to use to print the Lack enclosure parts?

So I have a bit of a problem as I rent a room right now and that is the only place to put my printer so I'm building a enclosure.  It looks like the Ikea Lack enclosure has tons and tons of parts designed for it so I'm going with it.

Since I have to print the parts in my room before I build the enclosure I need to do it with something relatively safe to be around but strong enough for the enclosure itself.  I was thinking of getting a used cabinet and only printing some air exhaust/filter parts for it and add those to the cabinet, then printing the parts to make the lack enclosure.  Or am I just being paranoid?  I hear the fumes are dangerous or at the very least stinky.

Also, I want to use the Prusa Orange color and it is constantly sold out in PLA and PETG.  Are either one of those what I should be using?  If so I could go with maybe just black, I really wanted it in Prusa Orange but I need to have the enclosure for my room so I need to get it done.

I ordered my Printer 3 weeks ago so I need to start thinking about getting the Prusament in a week or so.  I've been checking everyday but Prusa Orange in PLA and PETG hasn't come back in stock yet.

Thanx for the replies though, this is my first 3D printer and new to filament.  I had a SLA printer at my last apartment but since I didn't have anywhere to put it in this apartment I sold it when I moved.  Any help is appreciated!

Posted : 29/06/2020 11:26 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: What to use to print the Lack enclosure parts?

Having an enclosure depends on what material you intend to be printing amongst other things.  An enclosure like a LACK based one will reduce noise*, drafts and dust getting to your printer.  It wont really help with fumes unless you fit an extraction system into it with a fan, but it sounds like you are planning on that anyway.

If printing PLA then most brands have little to no odour and are little more dangerous than the off gassing of a laser printer.  However if you want to print in ABS or similar then an enclosure with venting to the exterior is highly recommended.  PETG is not as strong as PLA but it is more flexible so can take impacts better.  It also has a higher glass transition temperature.  Its not particularly odorous too but more so than PLA.  Different brands vary though.

PETG is recommended for the enclosure parts but it will work perfectly well when printed in PLA too.

*noise, it will reduce some noise but can actually cause more due to the enclosure itself vibrating.  You can correct this though using things like increased mass from a paver or marble block and using sound dampening feet.  Check out other threads on the forum relating to enclosure/printer noise.

Posted : 29/06/2020 11:44 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

Thats odd because I just looked at the eShop and pretty much everything is in stock, in fact Orange PETG (a good candidate for your Lack parts) is on special.

Oh, I see all the PLA is out of stock. Not a problem as PLA would not be ideal for the Lack parts. PETG is much stronger, able to withstand higher temperatures and apart from the stringing is only slightly more difficult to print. BTW PETG is food safe and gives no odor.  

Posted : 29/06/2020 12:09 pm
buckettraveler
(@buckettraveler)
Topic starter answered:

Oh wait, I was going to the wrong site, not the eshop but the Prusament, for some reason it doesn't list the Orange in PETG.  The discount sounds like they're only giving it if your a printing personal protection equipment though.

Doesn't PETG print better printed in an enclosure for the heat though?

Posted : 29/06/2020 12:33 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

PETG is what I use.  You could use PLA Plus.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/06/2020 12:48 pm
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

@buckettraveler

I print PETG without an enclosure. Even if the special on orange PETG is for printing Covid protection, I doubt if Joe will find out if you use it for something else.

Posted : 29/06/2020 6:10 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I used eSun Orange PETG.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 29/06/2020 11:51 pm
Share: