Notifications
Clear all

What filaments did you tested and with which results.  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
DanielM
(@danielm)
Eminent Member
What filaments did you tested and with which results.

Hi,

Recently I bought a MK3S and since then I am experimenting prints daily. I noticed that there are a lot of filaments on the market but very few profiles in the slicer and I was surprised that I did not found any thread about filaments (or I was not able to find it) on the English forum. Thus I am starting now one.

I know that there are a lot of variables that should be aligned in order to have a successful print but still I think it would be helpful to know what filaments you tested and with which results. I suppose that the ones listed in slicer were already tested so those should be left aside. Also it would be useful to specify the model of Prusa used and if you have standard extruder or a modified one (i.e. heatbreak modified). Please state only these info in order for everyone to be able to browse it quickly.

I will start first what I tested so far.

1. Sakata 3D PLA on MK3S standard extruder - not working and clogging the extruder - as far as I read about changing the heatbreak is solving this but not tested

2. Devil Design PLA on MK3S standard extruder - not working and clogging the extruder

3. Suntem 3D PLA - local brand supposedly made in NL - on MK3S standard extruder - working decently and is cheap enough for experiments

I am looking forward to hear about other brands from you.

Cheers,

Daniel 

Posted : 22/03/2020 11:05 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member
RE: What filaments did you tested and with which results.
Posted by: @daniel-mihailescu

Hi,

Recently I bought a MK3S and since then I am experimenting prints daily. I noticed that there are a lot of filaments on the market but very few profiles in the slicer and I was surprised that I did not found any thread about filaments (or I was not able to find it) on the English forum. Thus I am starting now one.

I know that there are a lot of variables that should be aligned in order to have a successful print but still I think it would be helpful to know what filaments you tested and with which results. I suppose that the ones listed in slicer were already tested so those should be left aside. Also it would be useful to specify the model of Prusa used and if you have standard extruder or a modified one (i.e. heatbreak modified). Please state only these info in order for everyone to be able to browse it quickly.

I will start first what I tested so far.

1. Sakata 3D PLA on MK3S standard extruder - not working and clogging the extruder - as far as I read about changing the heatbreak is solving this but not tested

2. Devil Design PLA on MK3S standard extruder - not working and clogging the extruder

3. Suntem 3D PLA - local brand supposedly made in NL - on MK3S standard extruder - working decently and is cheap enough for experiments

I am looking forward to hear about other brands from you.

Cheers,

Daniel 

Hello,

The extruder can no longer transport the PLA due to too much heat. Do you work with an enclosure? Otherwise, you should passively or actively cool the extruder motor. A titanium heatbreak is not bad either.
If you are new to the 3D printing scene, i would first thoroughly test PLA and PETG before you buy other materials.
There is sufficient information available online about the properties of the many filaments available on the market.

It is better if you ask the forum a specific question about a specific filament.

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 23/03/2020 12:12 am
DanielM
(@danielm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi Karl,

And thank you for the reply, the point of this topic is to see what filaments other tested in order for everyone to have a reference and see if they have issue with a particular filament if others have the same experience. 

@everyone: Please do not post here causes and possible solutions, open new threads.

Best regards,

Daniel  

Posted : 23/03/2020 6:46 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I've updated my small collection of filament profiles based on my personal testing. Filament varies considerably by where you're located, so a big collection that works for one user may be useless for another. I'm in the US, so my profiles reflect local availability.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 23/03/2020 4:21 pm
DanielM
(@danielm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi Bobstro, 

Thank you for the feedback but unfortunately I was not able to retrieve from the link you  specified. However for the sake of keeping this thread clean please state here only the filament brand name and type / printer model / extruder type / printing results. A working link and/or attachment for the profiles used will be also a good thing for the community.    

Kind regards,

Daniel

Posted : 23/03/2020 5:57 pm
DanielM
(@danielm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi Bobstro, 

Thank you for the feedback but unfortunately I was not able to retrieve from the link you  specified. However for the sake of keeping this thread clean please state here only the filament brand name and type / printer model / extruder type / printing results. A working link and/or attachment for the profiles used will be also a good thing for the community.    

Kind regards,

Daniel

Posted : 23/03/2020 5:58 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

That link should take you to pastebin. There you can download a config bundle with filament profiles. I'm not going to break the data out here because this thread will sink into Oblivion in a week.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 23/03/2020 11:28 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Bob just to let you know that the link is working now when I just checked but yesterday was giving a message saying it was private.  

Posted : 24/03/2020 6:57 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @neophyl

Bob just to let you know that the link is working now when I just checked but yesterday was giving a message saying it was private.  

Ok thanks. I checked the settings yesterday. I'll upload a copy here when I can.

Posted : 24/03/2020 1:43 pm
DanielM
(@danielm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi,

Thank you for the profiles, I was able to download them from pastebin. I will take a look and see if I can extract something useful in terms of usable profiles as I am located in EU.

Just as a side note, if this thread will fade out and nobody else will add anything then I will be in peace that at least I tried to do something to help more people than me, however only the future will tell.

As Winston Churchill said:

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Cheers, 

Daniel 

Posted : 24/03/2020 5:55 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @daniel-mihailescu

[...] Just as a side note, if this thread will fade out and nobody else will add anything then I will be in peace that at least I tried to do something to help more people than me, however only the future will tell.

Don't get me wrong: It's a great idea. The problem is that there's just so much variation in what's available in each area. More than once, I've gotten excited about a filament only to realize it's only available in the EU. Or the shop is in Canada with expensive shipping. Or Australia. I've got my favorites in the US market, but they're likely to be expensive in other parts of the world.

It would be great if Prusa incorporated user input into something they provide, but I'm not aware of any such efforts. I think they are soliciting filament profiles for inclusion into PrusaSlicer, so you might see if you can contribute directly.

Posted : 24/03/2020 6:29 pm
kennd
(@kennd)
Reputable Member

@daniel-mihailescu

You did help. Without you asking, some people (me) would not know about bobsto's profiles.

Me? I am lazy and 99% of my prints use Prusament PLA with only adjustment to bed and nozzle temp. Works great for me. None of the brands I use are in Prusaslicer

Quality is the Journey, not the Destination. My limited prints->

Posted : 24/03/2020 7:51 pm
DanielM
(@danielm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Hi,

Some comments below:

@kennd: Thank you, this comforts me a bit. However it would be nice if you put (some of) the brands filament you have tried 😀.

@neophyl: Also it would be nice if you put (some of) the types of filament you tested and the result.

@bobstro: Although there are brand variations across continents, people from that region can still benefit of the info as this is an international forum, not mentioning that some brands are selling internationally. If more people are putting the info here, anyone can see that a particular brand has issues or not with a printer model. 

Best regards,

Daniel 

Posted : 24/03/2020 8:35 pm
Sembazuru
(@sembazuru)
Prominent Member

As far as adding filament profiles, the Prusa profiles are on github here: https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer-settings Nothing is stopping anyone from making a pull request with the settings they use for a filament that isn't on the list. Then again, nothing is stopping them ignoring external pull requests... 😉

See my (limited) designs on:
Printables - https://www.printables.com/@Sembazuru
Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/Sembazuru/designs

Posted : 25/03/2020 1:30 am
DanielM
(@danielm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

@ Bobstro

Thank you, I will give it a try. One of the main reasons to start this thread is that using the filaments profiles in Prusa Slicer require some expensive filament, thus I am trying to do experiments (some of them failed) at a minimal cost. Considering the currency ratio, reel of Prusa filament is like costing for someone in US 100 USD (or 100EUR in EU), then you may see why I am trying to find out tested cheaper alternatives for the filament.  Also I am sure that some other people may be interested to optimize their costs.  

Apart for personal trial and error of various brands this feedback request seem to be quite a challenge. Instead of stating why not, and pushing back this initiative it have been simpler and time effective to just state the filaments tested and in which condition or at least to do nothing at all. There is still a sliverlinig of this discussion in the fact that more people read this thread and I hope they will respond.    

@To whom may be interested: Coming back to the filament topic I wrote to the manufacturer of Sakata3D (a Spanish company) plus to one guy on YouTube doing a demo of this filament brand. I received a reply that the Sakata 850 model PLA filament is not a standard PLA and should be used with 220 to 225 degrees and with lower retraction (did not specified a value but I asked).       

Kind regards,

Daniel

Posted : 25/03/2020 12:39 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Ok I'll play along but I'm not sure how much use it will be as neither of my printers are strictly 'stock' any more.

I have a Prusa MK3, it has since been changed to a geared Bunny & Bear extruder and runs with a 0.4mm Nozzle X from E3d.
I also have a Creality cr10, but thats been converted to direct drive with a micro swiss hotend.  Its running a normal E3d brass 0.6mm nozzle.  I use that for larger lower detail prints.
Retraction on the prusa is set to 0.4 for all my PLA's and 0.8-1mm on my CR10 direct drive.
While Ive printed PETG its not my favourite and I dont use it much.  When I do its been with the recommended settings out the slicer for Prusa PETG so iirc 240/90.

Filaments used with the above printers

Spectrum PLA (several colours including, black, white, khaki, volcano grey, dark grey, orange, silver, rust copper at least)
Prusa - Nozzle 215/ Bed 50-55.
Cr10 - Nozzle 215 / Bed 55
This stuff is wound perfectly and gives me good quality prints.  I've used a lot of it.

Filaprint Premium PLA (black, silver, Bronze, )
Prusa Nozzle 215 / Bed 55
Cr10 - Nozzle 215/ Bed 55

Filaprint Moss Grey (Matte)
Prusa - Nozzle 225 / Bed 55
Cr10 - Nozzle 225/ Bed 55

MKOEM Silk Silver (off amazon)
Prusa - Nozzle 230/ Bed 50-55 (havent used it on the CR10 as yet)

Technology Outlet PLA (black, silver, Christmas green, red, wood brown, light grey)
Prusa - Nozzle 210/ Bed 55
Cr10 - Nozzle 210/ Bed 60 
This used to be ok but they must have changed supplier as its now rubbish.  I have stopped using them now.
I also had some of their woodfill and I binned it as it was guaranteed to clog, even with a 0.6mm nozzle.  No matter what temperature I tried with or retraction etc.  The only times I've had to take things apart to clear was after using this stuff.

Fillamentun Gold Happens PLA
Prusa - Nozzle 215/ Bed 55

Fiberology Silk Red PLA
Prusa - Nozzle 230/ Bed 55

Prusament Mystic Brown - on the prusa I just used the settings from the slicer/off the box.  Came out great anyway.

Polyalchemy Elixir Onyx PLA - cant remember what they were but I also used the settings off the box for this on the Prusa and it also came out fine.

EveryOne PLA (amazon) - I recently tried their Copper silk and at the recommended settings it caused a clog/jam after about 4 hours on my CR10 resulting in a lost print.  I printed the model again at the 230/55 degrees I use for other silk filaments and this time it successfully printed.  Although stringing was a lot worse than usual and it made the supports a pain to remove.  

Extrudr PETG (Military Green)
Prusa - Nozzle 250/ Bed 90 (prusament retraction value for petg)

Looking at that I'm using 215/55 for normal PLA and 230/55 for silks which seems to work for me.

Posted : 25/03/2020 1:17 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I've printed successfully with the following filaments that are easily sourced in the US. I've made notes on a few specific types. Otherwise, they all "just work" with the settings I've developed.

• 3D PrintLife BioPETG
  • 3D Solutech PLA - Cheap, works well, available in MasterSpool packaging (no spool)
  • 3D-Fuel Wound Up - Coffee infused, but no coffee smell
  • 3DXtech PETG - High temp, use gluestick on PEI
  • AIO Robotics PLA - Small 500g spools
  • AmazonBasics PETG - Cheap, works well
  • Atomic Filament Carbon Fiber PETG
  • ColorFabb HT
  • ColorFabb XT
  • ColorFabb nGen - Great for high precision
  • ColorFabb nGen Flex
  • FilaCube PLA
  • Filastruder Veracity PETG - Available in MasterSpool packaging (no spool)
  • Fillamentum Extrafill
  • FormFutura ReForm rPET 
  • Formfutura StoneFil
  • GizmoDorks PETG
  • GizmoDorks PLA
  • Greengate 3D PETG - Recycled in many colors
  • Inland PETG - Excellent budget brand
  • Inland PLA - Excellent budget brand
  • Inland eAlFill
  • Inland eLastic TPE - Prints well on Mk3. Shore 85A hardness.
  • KVP N-Vire rPET - Poor performance, frequent jams
  • KVP PETG
  • Mad Maker PLA - Interesting colors, 1.5Kg spools
  • MakeShaper PLA
  • Maker Geeks PLA
  • MatterHackers Ryno
  • Matterhackers Build PLA
  • Paramount PLA - Good military color selection
  • Polymaker PolyLite PETG
  • PrintedSolid Marble PLA
  • Prusa PLA
  • RePLAy 3D Recycled PLA - Black only, works well
  • SpiderMaker PLA
  • Toner Plastics PLA - Very small diameter (<1.7mm)
  • eSun PLA+ - Very consistent, high quality
  • eSun Wood
  • rigid.ink PLA - No longer in production

Posted : 25/03/2020 3:07 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

ColorFabb nGen - Great for high precision

I'm going to have to take a look at your settings on this one as I couldn't get this to print properly, it shrank too much whilst printing so corners on layers were pulling rounded and upwards, currently the reel has been thrown to the back of my filaments on the top shelf where I can't see it. 😀 

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 25/03/2020 3:49 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @chocki

ColorFabb nGen - Great for high precision

I'm going to have to take a look at your settings on this one as I couldn't get this to print properly, it shrank too much whilst printing so corners on layers were pulling rounded and upwards, currently the reel has been thrown to the back of my filaments on the top shelf where I can't see it. 😀 

In trying the various tolerance tests, I've been able to get 0.15mm clearance to work reliably with nGen. Other filaments, particularly some of the "wet" shiny PLAs are tough to get below 0.2mm tolerance. nGen will absorb moisture like PETG over time, so you might want to dry it out before testing again. Let me know how the settings work for you!

Posted : 25/03/2020 3:55 pm
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

I will when I get the current prints out of the way and get some time.

Plus I still have to go to work, something about being a key worker in Public safety and national security! in the UK 😀 

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 25/03/2020 4:09 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: