Notifications
Clear all

Stringing problems with PETG  

RSS
Chuck
(@chuck-6)
Stringing problems with PETG

I was hoping I could get some help regarding stringing problems I’ve been having with PETG.  I bought a i3 MK3S back in June and have mostly been printing small parts for games (Gloomhaven).  I have been having a lot of problems with stringing and have spent a decent amount of time running different tests and reading pages, but to no avail. 

I’m using eSun PETG filament and performed extrusion multiplier calculations and calipered the filament diameter before I started the prints.  I have varied my retraction distance from 0.2mm to 3.0mm and the retraction speed from 40 mm/s to 60 mm/s.  I would keep one fixed and just vary the other, so I’d done 20 or so test prints to get the different combinations.  I’ve varies the nozzle temperature from 230 to 245 and after talking to a friend who is more experienced, he suggested trying the linear advance settings.  So, I have tried that and varied that from 10 to 100 in increments of 10 and tried one at 200 just to see if going really high made a difference after I saw a post that suggested that.  While I have seen some improvement, I’m still getting issues with the print stringing.

My biggest question is that I really don’t seem to see much difference as I’m varying these parameters.  The biggest change I saw when I enabled linear advance, but really not much change when I change retraction speed or distance.  Changing temp helped a little, but again, not enough to fix the issue.  I’m really out of ideas at this point, so I’d love any advice on what to try next.

Posted : 08/12/2019 4:27 pm
Share: