Notifications
Clear all

Prusa Slicer fills in hole in my model - Manifold = yes  

RSS
dan007
(@dan007)
Prusa Slicer fills in hole in my model - Manifold = yes

Hi,

I have what I consider a basic model (see file) and the slicer fills in the hole in the center (imports the stl file ok).  Manifold display says Yes. I've changed quite a few parameters trying to solve, then reverted to basic standard configs to no avail.

I do NOT master the printer options so I must be doing something wrong but can't see it.

TIA.  

PrusaSlicer 2.2.0 for Mac OS X (Catalina 10.15.6).

base_dessus.stl

Best Answer by jsw:

Try this one.  See attached file.

The original .stl is most definitely corrupt, as it will not convert to a solid in FreeCad.  I used a trick of converting the mesh to a shape and re-exporting it.  The resulting file will convert to a solid.  It slices as intended in PrusaSlicer.

Attachment removed
Posted : 13/08/2020 3:14 am
jwvaughn
(@jwvaughn)
Estimable Member
RE: Prusa Slicer fills in hole in my model - Manifold = yes

The first time I sliced it the holes were filled in.  I did a repair through Netfabb even though there were no errors indicated and it sliced correctly. I can only guess as to what the problem is so hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can fill in the blanks.

Jerry

Posted : 13/08/2020 6:29 am
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member

Try this one.  See attached file.

The original .stl is most definitely corrupt, as it will not convert to a solid in FreeCad.  I used a trick of converting the mesh to a shape and re-exporting it.  The resulting file will convert to a solid.  It slices as intended in PrusaSlicer.

Attachment removed
Posted : 13/08/2020 7:13 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

According to the 3dprint tool in Blender the model has, 16 Intersecting faces, 8 zero faces and 4 zero edges.  Fixing the zero edges and faces allows it to slice properly.

Posted : 13/08/2020 8:10 am
dan007
(@dan007)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks a lot for all your help. Very much appreciated.

Posted : 13/08/2020 1:05 pm
jwvaughn
(@jwvaughn)
Estimable Member

Out of curiosity, what application did you use to create the object?

Posted : 13/08/2020 3:34 pm
dan007
(@dan007)
Topic starter answered:

@jerry-v2

Openscad (version 2019.05, on Mac).

So there is a bug in the rendering engine (CGAL).

Posted : 13/08/2020 4:19 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Should have known.  More than half of the 'slicer is doing x' on my model posts we get are down to openscad.  Its incredibly powerful if you are of the programming nature but unless you know exactly what you are doing it seems to have these issues.  

I suspect its down to the vertices precision and with them not being quite aligned.  Cura seems to collapse them into each other and so can slice them ok but Slic3r, Prusa Slicer etc dont (as yet) so you have to use the fix through netfabb route or other option.  

Posted : 13/08/2020 4:49 pm
dan007 liked
jsw
 jsw
(@jsw)
Famed Member
Posted by: @neophyl

I suspect its down to the vertices precision and with them not being quite aligned.  Cura seems to collapse them into each other and so can slice them ok but Slic3r, Prusa Slicer etc dont (as yet) so you have to use the fix through netfabb route or other option.  

I did not think of trying Cura on that one.  I have, however, found that Cura seems to be more forgiving, and when something does not slice properly in Prusaslicer, I'll try Cura and often, but not always, it will.

Posted : 13/08/2020 6:14 pm
dan007
(@dan007)
Topic starter answered:

@neophyl

>I suspect its down to the vertices precision and with them not being quite aligned. 

I think you're right!

Model slices ok when $fn is brought to 10 (was 100 initially) without any other code changes.

Circular shapes are less than perfect 🙂 but at least, it prints.

Posted : 13/08/2020 10:25 pm
gedeyenite
(@gedeyenite)

I just ran into a similar issue today.

I created an object to print in Sketchup, exported it as an STL, and imported it into Prusaslicer. It looked fine until I sliced it, then it placed "lids" on both of the hollowed rectangles in the object. 

Finally, after some research, I used the Sketchups tool that looks for potential 3D printing file problems and discovered I had some internal geometry that was confusing Prusaslicer. Sketchup deleted that geometry, and all is good! 25% printed as I type this.

Posted : 01/06/2023 7:32 pm
Share: