Notifications
Clear all

Problem with lego brick accuracy  

RSS
ronin8600
(@ronin8600)
Problem with lego brick accuracy

Hi,

I am trying to print a lego brick from printabrick.com ( https://printabrick.org/bricks/3004 ) and I am running into an issue with the accuracy of the result.

I printed 2 bricks and when I try to stack them the fit is very loose. When I use calipers to measure the printed brick all of the dimensions are correct except for the 2 studs at the top which are off by .22mm.

I am new to 3d printing and SLIC3R and not sure what setting I should look at changing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Posted : 06/09/2018 5:24 pm
greg.h10
(@greg-h10)
Re: Problem with lego brick accuracy

You can search the web for info on the tolerances to which Legos are manufactured. They're pretty tight. So, if you want to print them, you're going to need to spend some time tuning your process, I suspect. You'd be among the lucky to have it just work. I just found printabrick a couple days ago. I know I have my work cut out for me if I want to make it work.

Posted : 23/09/2018 11:08 pm
MikeBowe
(@mikebowe)
Eminent Member
Re: Problem with lego brick accuracy

Like said, tolerances have to be really tight... only thing to do here without remodeling the 3D model is to use best possible print settings.

I have done parts that "snap together" but I have 3D modeling software and can play with gap settings inside the modeling software (Maya, not Cura, Slicer or whatever) and then do test prints with different print setting combos.

"Better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime"
Posted : 24/09/2018 2:20 pm
Share: