Notifications
Clear all

Printing >100MB file  

RSS
Doug Bailey
(@doug-bailey)
Eminent Member
Printing >100MB file

My wife wants me to print out a voronoi pattern orchid plantpot. It's pretty intricate, even though not large. The print will take 27 hours and the gcode file is 109 MB - a little over 4 million lines of gcode.

When I try to print from the SD card, the printer finds the file OK, but when I select it, the printer resets. I tried using Pronteface to print from my PC - it got started OK, but then stopped after a couple of hours.

Ideas?

Posted : 06/01/2021 3:10 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member
RE: Printing >100MB file

I'm not sure of the level of detail in the pot, however if you deem the pots detail to be higher then the printer is capable of reproducing even if it could run the file, then it might behoove you to decimate the mesh to a lower quality, and reduce the file to a more manageable size, if you have that capability.

Another would be to make sure your computer isn't set to go into some dormant mode or self update or any of that nonsense, and try again, my experience is that it can be difficult to do long prints from the computer.

Those are the only things I can think of.

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 06/01/2021 4:11 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

There is a stand alone (or plugin for OctoPrint) call ArcWelder. It processes GCode, replacing the many tiny straight lines that generate a curve, with a single draw a curve GCode. Print must support G2/G3. I don't know if Prusa supports G2/G3.

In essence it replaces multiple G1's with a single G2/G3. 

Posted : 06/01/2021 10:01 am
Area51
(@area51)

According to the Prusa Knowledge Base G2/G3 is supported, but MBL is not correctly implemented.

Usage

G2 [ X | Y | I | E | F ] (Clockwise Arc)
G3 [ X | Y | I | E | F ] (Counter-Clockwise Arc)

Have a look at my models on Printables.com 😉

Posted : 06/01/2021 1:03 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

FWIW - I've been using the ArcWelder plugin with OctoPrint on my Mk3 since it was released late in 2020. I have not experienced any problems using it, but I can't say that I've seen a huge difference in either print quality or print times. The amount of gcode reduction is impressive, from 10-20% on smaller prints to 30-40% on larger prints. It reduces the amount of gcode being streamed over USB, so that alone is a benefit. I hope to identify a good benchmark to do some in-depth testing soon.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 06/01/2021 3:31 pm
Doug Bailey
(@doug-bailey)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I'll give ArcWelder a try. Here's the failure message echo from Proterface:

...SILENT MODE: Percent done: 11; print time remaining in mins: 1482
[ERROR] Print thread died due to the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 471, in _print
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 545, in _sendnext
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 567, in _send
MemoryError

echo:busy: paused for user....

is this a PC side error or did the printer do something bad?

Posted : 06/01/2021 3:59 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @doug-bailey

I'll give ArcWelder a try. Here's the failure message echo from Proterface:

...SILENT MODE: Percent done: 11; print time remaining in mins: 1482
[ERROR] Print thread died due to the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 471, in _print
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 545, in _sendnext
File "printrun\printcore.pyc", line 567, in _send
MemoryError

echo:busy: paused for user....

is this a PC side error or did the printer do something bad?

I'd say that's a firmware issue if that message is from the printer itself and not pronterface. If from the printer, I'd both contact support and open a ticket on the Prusa firmware github pages.

I'm getting errors when sending long strings (e.g. long M117 messages). There may be some bounds checking or buffer issues that can be fixed.

Looking at it, though, that looks more like a Pronterface error. 

Can you post a link to the STL? I'd be curious to test this with OctoPrint, ARCWelder, and my crummy Sidewinder.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 06/01/2021 4:58 pm
Doug Bailey
(@doug-bailey)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

The original file is from Thingiverse 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4016279

The link to the files on my OneDrive share is: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApM80a3MXjpugdk2XtrnZp72nPr2hw?e=4Fj22x

password: voronoi

since they are so big it might take a few minutes for Microsoft to sync the files. My printer is the MK3 kit upgraded to a MK3s. Up to date firmware. I used PrusaSlicer with a 140% scaling factor for the gcode generation.

Posted : 06/01/2021 5:15 pm
Doug Bailey
(@doug-bailey)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I'm a little surprised that PrusaSlicer doesn't make use of the arc function already - or at least add something like it as a post processing option. I guess code compaction is less important than other features for most people - it's only when you bump into something like this that it becomes obvious. I've designed and printed hundreds of small projects over the couple of years that I have had my printer, and this is the first time I've bumped into what looks like a memory size problem.

Posted : 07/01/2021 2:52 am
Doug Bailey
(@doug-bailey)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

While poking around for options in PrusaSlicer I found a host change option - the default is Octoprint, but there's also Duet, Flashair and Astrobox. I'm using Pronteface and a PC - do the settings change?

Posted : 07/01/2021 3:00 am
towlerg
(@towlerg)
Noble Member

Hey Bobstro, whats wrong with the Sidewinder?  "crummy Sidewinder"

Posted : 07/01/2021 2:28 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @towlerg

Hey Bobstro, whats wrong with the Sidewinder?  "crummy Sidewinder"

Crummy in this context. It uses a low-end 8-bit board but surprisingly can run Marlin 2.0 with most features enabled. The Sidewinder has other issues. I have a love-hate relationship with it. It's definitely crummy out of the box, but with a lot of care and tweaking, I really like mine now.

Posted : 07/01/2021 4:37 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@doug-bailey

Just for S**t's and giggles I decimated the model last night, and got it down to two versions, (1) is Voronoi Vase 277K faces .obj 22.5 megs and the other is 138K faces.obj10.5 megs both were able to be sliced, I producing 6 different g-codes, ranging in size from 93.7 megs to 49.7megs, using settings in slicer to allow for strength of the printed mesh and I was able to get print times from 1 day 4.5 hours - 20 hours 17 min. depending on what features I chose to print with in slicer.

Just throwing that out there

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 07/01/2021 9:11 pm
Share: