Notifications
Clear all

Printer or slicer/gcode problem?  

RSS
Abigail_3D
(@abigail_3d)
Printer or slicer/gcode problem?

I recently printed the moai Easter Island Head Statue the front looks amazing but the back has some weird spots in it. Some of the layers are completely detached from the back and are just being held on by the print around the ears. I was wondering if people think this is a printer problem or a problem with the STL or gcode.

Posted : 08/07/2020 9:07 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Printer or slicer/gcode problem?

Do you still have the project file you used to generate the gcode ?  When sliced does the preview show anything different in those areas like printing at a different speed or volumetric flow rate ?

Normally issues at the back of models is down to cooling, as the parts fan is located in the front then the back can sometimes receive insufficient cooling and cause problems.  If that was the case though then I would expect it to happen at the lower layers too.  The fact it doesnt would suggest its not cooling but things like different print speeds/volumetric flow etc all combine with cooling which was why I was asking what the preview is showing.

If you do have the project file then zip up the 3mf and attach it here.  That way we can slice it with the settings you were using and look ourselves.
If you dont have the project file then its a good idea to start saving them for everything you print.  It allows you to go back at any point and reslice and change settings easily.  Its also possible to import the settings used from one project to use in a new one which can be handy sometimes.  Especially if you made changes but didnt save it as a new profile.

Posted : 09/07/2020 6:33 am
Abigail_3D
(@abigail_3d)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Printer or slicer/gcode problem?

@neophyl I do have the project file and I have attached it for you to take a look at. From what I can see there doesn't seem to be anything happening at that back area. I'm also not completely sure if I uploaded the project file correctly, let me know if I need to do anything differently. I will also let you know that I am using the older prusa slicer and firmware since I was having some major issues with the new slicer and firmware. 

The idea about the cooling is interesting I hadn't thought about that. 

Posted : 09/07/2020 1:10 pm
Share: