Notifications
Clear all

Print quality issue on first layer smal areas  

RSS
D.Ebi
(@d-ebi)
Print quality issue on first layer smal areas

Hi there,

Any advice how to improve the print quality of this small and pointy area?

It seems that for small areas with little travel time, not enough filament is extruded. Is there a specific slicer setting for that?

Thanks for your advice

Posted : 27/04/2021 8:33 am
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member
RE: Print quality issue on first layer smal areas

Is that the bottom or the top layer?  If the bottom layer, your Z is too high - the lines are round with no squish between them.

Posted : 27/04/2021 5:27 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

I disagree - it isn't layer height, it has something to do with infill settings. What printer, slicer, filament are you using?

Posted : 27/04/2021 6:09 pm
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

Good luck then.  I don't see anyone at all talking about layer height.

Posted : 27/04/2021 6:12 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member

Save your project as a 3mf file, zip it, then upload it here. This will give us all the information we need about orientation, setting etc. Without it we can only guess. 

Posted : 27/04/2021 6:15 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @dan-rogers

Good luck then.  I don't see anyone at all talking about layer height.

If the bottom layer, your Z is too high 

Your words, Dan... lol. Z is all about layer height. Albeit, for only one layer. 

Posted : 27/04/2021 6:32 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@d-ebi

If you can, create a .3mf project file by going to file Menu> Save Project as.. then zip that file up and post it here using the Add Media button located in the upper right corner of the reply window.

this will show us the settings your using as they pertain to the model your working with, so we can stop guessing and post a better educated reply to your question. pictures like the one you posted are also helpful but don't tell the entire story.

Regards

Swiss_Cheese

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 27/04/2021 7:13 pm
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

@tim-2

Well, I suppose you could generalize it like that.  But if that picture shows her bottom layer, full stop, no need to discuss anything else until first layer adhesion and squish (which was her complaint) is corrected.  With no indication that it was top layer of bottom layer, my approach is to hit the obvious.  

If it's her top layer, well, there's something else entirely going on and the .3mf file would be helpful.  IMO, .3mf files are not useful to diagnose first layer problems caused by poorly calibrated live Z.

Posted : 27/04/2021 7:29 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member
Posted by: @dan-rogers

IMO, .3mf files are not useful to diagnose first layer problems caused by poorly calibrated live Z.

I do not agree with this statement, having a .3mf avoids playing 50 questions with the OP to get to the root cause of a problem. 

even if you suspect that it might be a first layer issue, many others may not, and this offers them the opportunity to examine and respond.

I don't agree with the assessment that it's a first layer issue, from the image (and that's all we have to go by without a .3mf) the first layer looks great ,and I'm not seeing any of the other issues associated with poor adhesion. I'm leaning more towards an "infill issue" myself. also we have to take scale into account, and we can guess but have no scene of the scale from this image, and then we can guess that it's prusa PLA being used? we don't know, .3mf helps all the way around.

this isn't a contest, it's a forum for helping and learning.

Regards

Swiss_Cheese

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 27/04/2021 8:51 pm
D.Ebi
(@d-ebi)
Topic starter answered:

hi guys,

Its the bottom layer/first layer we are talking about and I am using a Prusa MK3S+ and PLA

Although it might be a little bit too little squish for the first layer, if you compare the triangle with the circle I also have the feeling that there is a issue with the infill or the lag time to extrude filament into such small ares.

3mf file is here  https://filebin.net/yuefpcxo2z56cd1u

Posted : 27/04/2021 10:02 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Agree with @swiss_cheese on this. Seen too many folk change layer one in the slicer to something untenable. It is normally set at 0.2, but when a user sets it to 0.3 so it matches the 0.3 layer height profile selected, then has issues, well, good to know that going in.

Posted : 28/04/2021 12:09 am
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

Like I said. Have fun. Debbi seems to be at work.  So we may never know what that picture shows.  

Posted : 28/04/2021 12:25 am
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@d-ebi

Try this, let me know how it goes.

Next time please zip and post through the forums if you can.

Stecker Halter Rosenberg Swiss

Good Luck

Swiss_Cheese

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 28/04/2021 4:46 am
Matt
 Matt
(@matt-6)

Im also having a little bit of trouble with the first layer of a print, mostly in the support areas of the print. trying to print the Mara Jade lightsaber from Thingiverse blown up a little bit because it was child sized. any way this is what was happening

Posted : 04/05/2021 1:47 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@knighten_matthew

Support areas can be tough.  Support in general are way more sensitive to not having the Z offset or live Z dialed in 100%.  I have had issues that required me to use hair spray to keep support glued down.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 07/05/2021 6:23 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Support fails because the bed is not clean. Any time PLA lifts off the sheet is a sign you need to take it to a sink and wash it.

A simple soap and water wash fixed this print:

Posted : 07/05/2021 8:10 pm
Share: