Clear all

Powdered sheets - Selling inferior product has consequence  

RSS
Sink
 Sink
(@sink)
Estimable Member
Powdered sheets - Selling inferior product has consequence

I have been a loyal customer for years.. 7 machines, countless rolls of filament, spare parts, all have been purchased and used. No knockoffs, no clones ..

My loyalty has been total since late 2016.. I have eaten failed print jobs due to translucence of Prusament, but wrote it off to a learning experience.. it doesn’t happen anymore, I simply don’t use Prusa filaments on jobs where opaqueness is critical and wall thickness cannot be increased.

But now I am at a crossroad, my second powdered sheet will not hold.. I came down this am to check on three 20 hour+ prints in progress..
2 are fine.. one on an MK3 steel plate (24 hours in and at 99%), one a 39+ hour job on a CR10S-Pro (24 hours into a 40+ hour job)

.. one is a spaghetti monster..

16 hours into a 20+ hour print.. the powdered sheet let go again.. rafts, slower than normal speeds, etc .. I have tried everything I am willing try but have now lost one too many prints due to the inability of these plates to hold a print.. That is it for me, I will try no more.

I need this job, so I removed the powdered sheet, my 2nd powdered sheet that has now been taken out of service, replaced it with a steel sheet, and restarted the job..

I am cancelling a planned MK3S order, reevaluating an upcoming filament restock, reevaluating what has been up to this point, solid product-line loyality..

I understand these plates are considered consumables .. but so is the complete Prusa product line

Producing inferior product, products that do not do what they are advertised to do, has to have consequence.. and it cannot simply be the buyers cross to bear.. all options are now on the table..

Posted : 21/07/2019 3:58 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: Powdered sheets - Selling inferior product has consequence

For grins, did you try washing the Ultem sheet with soap and water with a long hot water rinse?  Follow the wash with a good 80c bake out on the heat bed.  

The PC sheets, like the MMU, not something to experiment with for paid builds, but it seems these wouldn't be the first time Prusa has customers test products and processes for them.  Prusa will eventually fall back on the typical corporate mantra: Suitability for use falls on the purchaser.  

Though pretty sure defenders will come out of the wood work and say they have never had issues with any Prusa product.  The Teela Brown bunch.  lol.

Posted : 21/07/2019 4:11 am
Sink
 Sink
(@sink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I have tried everything .. except acetone on the newest one.. 

It is over for them .. they have both been placed in "the cabinet".. You know the cabinet, we all have one.. It is the place you put things that will never come out until it is time for the once a year clean-out and trip to the landfill..

Even the coffee tastes like crap this morning .. I bought a new expresso blend and am loading it into the machine, it is my morning for change ..

Posted : 21/07/2019 4:32 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

You can use the sheets for molding clay - the texture can make for some interesting effects... use a sheet metal sheer and make coasters... drill some holes and use them to make an electrostatic precipitation air cleaner... buy another pair and park your tires on them to keep from marking the garage floor.  Lots of good uses, no dump needed.

Posted : 21/07/2019 4:41 am
Sink liked
Sink
 Sink
(@sink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Ha.. Thanks for the giggles .. But at this point they are like an old girlfriend that dumped you .. just don't want to see them again..

Posted : 21/07/2019 4:43 am
rmm200
(@rmm200)
Noble Member

You don't say what kind of filament you are using.

I suspect they will be fine for PETG - I will know when mine arrives tomorrow.

PLA - now that is giving me fits on Powdered. I also ordered a PEI sheet from Prusa today. Covering all the bases.

Posted : 21/07/2019 5:57 am
Sink
 Sink
(@sink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Yeah..It was PLA that failed again .. I try to avoid PET unless it is unavoidable .. 

No new order to Prusa.. It is time in the Penalty Box for them, enjoy the 37 Euro for the powdered PLA eater .. ..

1000 in orders is going elsewhere ..

Trying to decide on either 160 for an Ender 3 with a glass build plate or 500 or so for another CR10S-Pro .. I am impressed with the one I have so far ..  but it shouldn't be hard to make the Ender3 into a useable MK3 alternative and there must be a punishment metered out ..

Posted : 21/07/2019 6:15 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Sadly - the money you don't spend on Prusa just means someone else will get their printer or parts a day sooner.  So it's a no-win for you; and win-win for Prusa and someone else.  And you can bet no one will bring your dissatisfaction to J Prusa's ears, and even if that event happens, losing a big bill just doesn't influence 75 thousand other big bills that are coming in.  Just look at this forum if you want an example of GAS.  Maintaining the old one that worked well and was responsible in part for his success... and he dumped it because his employees were spending a few hours a week maintaining it.  But then - some of us are idiots and keep trying to help others, and get zip for it - despite Prusa's lack of involvement.  Maybe that's why my attitude is fading here. lol.  

All that said, I've been eyeing a CR10, too. But I'm looking for more volume - and they don't yet have a pro model that's 0.5 m.

Posted : 21/07/2019 7:09 am
Sink
 Sink
(@sink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: Tim

Sadly - the money you don't spend on Prusa just means someone else will get their printer or parts a day sooner.  So it's a no-win for you; and win-win for Prusa and someone else.  And you can bet no one will bring your dissatisfaction to J Prusa's ears, and even if that event happens, losing a big bill just doesn't influence 75 thousand other big bills that are coming in.  Just look at this forum if you want an example of GAS.  Maintaining the old one that worked well and was responsible in part for his success... and he dumped it because his employees were spending a few hours a week maintaining it.  But then - some of us are idiots and keep trying to help others, and get zip for it - despite Prusa's lack of involvement.  Maybe that's why my attitude is fading here. lol.  

All that said, I've been eyeing a CR10, too. But I'm looking for more volume - and they don't yet have a pro model that's 0.5 m.

Probably all true .. but I remember a company call Tandem Computers back in my day on the street. They had the attitude that they were who they were too .. today they are a small server division of some other company.. It begins with the first customer sending their dollars elsewhere and helping to fund R&D for a different vendor .. it always begins with a few  dissatisfied and a few defections .. 

And then a new powdered sheet Frisbee company takes off .. and the old one .. well ..

Posted : 21/07/2019 8:16 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: Tim

Go with the CR-10S Pro - it has auto-leveling.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 21/07/2019 11:43 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: gary.s4

Yeah..It was PLA that failed again .. I try to avoid PET unless it is unavoidable .. 

No new order to Prusa.. It is time in the Penalty Box for them, enjoy the 37 Euro for the powdered PLA eater .. ..

1000 in orders is going elsewhere ..

Trying to decide on either 160 for an Ender 3 with a glass build plate or 500 or so for another CR10S-Pro .. I am impressed with the one I have so far ..  but it shouldn't be hard to make the Ender3 into a useable MK3 alternative and there must be a punishment metered out ..

I am not sure I understand your want to avoid PETG.  It is an awesome material.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 21/07/2019 11:45 am
Share: