Cheers,

Volker

Posted : 06/12/2019 1:22 am
Nikolai
(@nikolai)
Noble Member
RE: Nylon vs. PETG

Hi Volker,

What's your expectation? How did you measure the strength?

Nylon is in general more flexible then PETG and has better layer bondage. But it is softer and can be easy cut or dent.

Often linked posts:
Going small with MMU2
Real Multi Material
My prints on Instagram

Posted : 06/12/2019 4:19 am
Chocki
(@chocki)
Prominent Member

https://rigid.ink/pages/filament-comparison-guide

Have a look at this guide above, as shown. Nylon is no stronger than PETG, but it has better abrasion resistance and has a lower coefficient of friction. This is why a lot of wear parts in industry are made from Nylon.

If you are looking for something like PETG on steroids, then try Polycarbonate filament, but be aware, a lot of the supposed filament out there is actually a blended polycarbonate which reduces it's strength, but makes it easier to print.

Unfortunately Rigid.Ink have stopped filament manufacture as their clear Polycarbonate, whilst requiring pushing your Mk3 temperatures to the MAX, resulted in really strong parts, like I stated, PETG on steroids, really strong with some slight flex (Not as much as PETG).

After this your looking at Carbonyte or equivalent, but I have no experience with this.

If looking for PC filament, look for one with the highest heat resistance, 150 Deg C will be the purest PC, if it states 110C it is a blend. Still good, but not quite as good. There are still a few rolls of Rigid.Ink PC filament available on Amazon, but these are only 300g rolls, and yes it was always expensive.

Oh, forgot to add, careful what you print on as PC can either be a pig to adhere to anything, or weld itself to the surface, so do your homework beforehand.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Chocki

Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.

Posted : 06/12/2019 9:01 am
Volker Jaenisch
(@volker-jaenisch)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

@all

I was busy the last days, so sorry for not coming back to you.

One reason I was busy was to cleanup my nozzle since the Nylon clogged it completely. It was a really bad idea to print filaflex after nylon. :-(.

To the question of measuring strength. I suspected the flexural modulus of nylon to be higher than that of PETG, but this was a wrong assumption of mine.

Fil : Ef

PLA: 3150 MPa

PETG : 2147 MPa

Nylon : 463,5 MPa

So Nylon is 4 times more "flexible" the PETG. To get the same "strength" - aka holding the same weight in form of hook - it will need to have 4 times more volume or density.

I will come back when I have two hooks printed:

1) PETG: 15% density

2) Nylon: 60% densitiy

Cheers,

Volker

Posted : 08/12/2019 11:29 pm
Share: