NOOB Seeking Filament Recommendation (need flexible, don't need stretchable, need water proof))

Notifications
Clear all

NOOB Seeking Filament Recommendation (need flexible, don't need stretchable, need water proof))  

RSS
BobG
 BobG
(@bobg)
Eminent Member

For my first prints I'd like to use Prusa filaments but the shipping costs are just too high.  So I am looking for a filament which will ship from the US.  What I want to make is a simple 5-sided box, open on the top.  The dimensions are 3 1/8" x 3 1/8" and 2 1/4" deep.  The box will be used inside of the pictured woven ceramic basket.  The flexibility is required so that it can be put into place, because the basket handle gets in the way. 

I'd like to avoid supports so I hope to find something which is flexible but firm enough so that the sides do not collapse. I'd like to make the sides no more than 1/8" thick.  And since I am brand new to this I'd like a filament that's easy to work with.

Thanks,  Bob

Thanks,  Bob

USA / PA / 17821 : Fusion 360 > PrusaSlicer > Prusa MK3S

Posted : 09/08/2020 1:02 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: NOOB Seeking Filament Recommendation (need flexible, don't need stretchable, need water proof))

Sainsmart TPU should be ok for you... 
there is a ready made profile, in Prusa Slicer, for this filament!

it's flexible, but not floppy. 1/8 inch thick may be a bit thick,  
Ideally you do not want it thick enough to generate infill

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 09/08/2020 12:21 pm
BobG
 BobG
(@bobg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: NOOB Seeking Filament Recommendation (need flexible, don't need stretchable, need water proof))
Posted by: @joantabb

Sainsmart TPU should be ok for you... 
there is a ready made profile, in Prusa Slicer, for this filament!

it's flexible, but not floppy. 1/8 inch thick may be a bit thick,  
Ideally you do not want it thick enough to generate infill

regards Joan

Thanks very much Joan.  On their web page they say: "Feed the filament directly to the extruder, and not through the feeder tube. This reduces back tension in the filament as well as drag, ensuring proper feeding."  Does my i3 MK3S have a feeder tube?

Thanks again,  Bob

Posted : 09/08/2020 2:00 pm
hawai
(@hawai)
Reputable Member

Hi Bob,

no it doesn't. I guess "feeder tube" refers to a bowden style extruder.

One improtant thing about printing with TPU and other flexible and soft filaments. Loosen the extruder idler door as much as possible, ideally only have the first round of the thread in the nut. I you have it too tight soft and flexible filaments are very likely to wind themselves around the extruder gears. Before you start best to read up on everything that's been written here about flexible filaments, that will avoid some but not all frustration.

And if you have rather use the textured sheet than the smooth one, as TPU tends to stick extremely well.

Cheers

Hansjoerg

Posted : 11/08/2020 12:11 am
BobG
 BobG
(@bobg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

Thanks very much Hansjoerg.  I think that I have found the extruder (smaller than I expected it to be) but I have no idea what or where is the "extruder idler door".  

Thanks,  Bob

Posted : 11/08/2020 8:57 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@bobgatski

Hi Bob, on the right hand side of the extruder assembly, at the top is a little hinged panel, held in place by a long screw from the left hand side of the extruder assembly the hinged panel is the idler door, and the long screw goes through a spring, to put tension on the idler door. 

the pink arrows point to the idler door and the hinge for the idler door, the nut that you can see, is where the Idler tensioning screw fits in from the other side

Regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 11/08/2020 10:18 pm
Share: