Notifications
Clear all

Making a 3D Print File  

RSS
MikoRoG
(@mikorog)
Making a 3D Print File

Didn't want to put the question in the topic.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction of how I can create a 3D Print file of a dog? What software to use? I could even see if someone can make an .stl file for me but id like to learn it for myself. I've searched to the end of the internet and it has no info other than companies a person can send a photo to and they will make it for you. 

My mother-in-laws dog passed away from cancer and my wife and I wanted to make her something special for Christmas.

Note: I'm new to 3D printing so go easy on me please.

Posted : 01/12/2019 10:39 pm
x50arm
(@x50arm)
Estimable Member
RE: Making a 3D Print File

Search www.thingiverse.com or if you have a picture of her dog look up creating a lithophane.

Posted : 01/12/2019 10:48 pm
MikoRoG
(@mikorog)
Topic starter answered:

Thingiverse is only for downloading and uploading premade stl files as far as I knew. I searched how to create an .stl file with no results.

Posted : 01/12/2019 10:59 pm
x50arm
(@x50arm)
Estimable Member

You can create a model with cad software (fusion360, Freecad, etc..). From that software you export an .stl file.

Posted : 01/12/2019 11:31 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

There are ways to create models using photographs ... that's probably what you are looking for.  But they take some skill and experience as you need to move from a set of photos to a point cloud to a vector, and then clean up the vector to make it a printable STL.

Not impossible, but a bit of effort.  Start here: https://blog.prusaprinters.org/photogrammetry-3d-scanning-just-phone-camera/

Posted : 02/12/2019 2:00 am
MikoRoG
(@mikorog)
Topic starter answered:

@tim-m30

Great. Thank You

Posted : 02/12/2019 2:40 am
Share: