Looking to print an extremely thin wall, 0.4mm or so. Not working with my Prusa mk3s

Notifications
Clear all

Looking to print an extremely thin wall, 0.4mm or so. Not working with my Prusa mk3s  

RSS
silvertonesx24
(@silvertonesx24)

I am trying Prusaslicer, default 0.15mm QUALITY settings

The upper (left side) part of this needs to be straight, no lip. The thickness is 0.8mm. I have a 0.4mm nozzle. How can I slice this so that it does not have an extended lip? I don't care if it is physically weak.

https://imgur.com/a/1YUz5c4

Posted : 06/08/2020 9:47 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Looking to print an extremely thin wall, 0.4mm or so. Not working with my Prusa mk3s

Hi Silvertones, 

the Prusa normally uses a 0.4mm nozzle, in order to give a good bond, the prusa extrusion width is set to a wider value, 0.42mm on the first layer, and o.45 on subsequent layers. 

If you try to print a line thinner than this the slicer will fail to render the part. 

the green elements above are the original models which taper thinner from left to right

the orange elements are what the slicer renders using default settings. as you will see the bottom layer renders a little further, because the extrusion width is smaller... 
the layers above are thicker, and do not render quite as far. 
if your model has elements that are thinner than the extrusion width, you can either redraw the part. or you can try setting 'XY Size Compensation' to a value larger than 0.0 mm

this will slightly alter the final dimensions, but it may make thin sections print, where they otherwise would not print, without altering the model
regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 06/08/2020 11:13 pm
silvertonesx24
(@silvertonesx24)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Looking to print an extremely thin wall, 0.4mm or so. Not working with my Prusa mk3s

Thanks! I'm not sure I'm looking at the right parameter then.

Slicing looks OK. It's just that the print is not a perfect height, it prints with the ridge which makes fitting on this for me impossible.

Here is what it slices.

But when it prints, I have this lip

Posted : 06/08/2020 11:29 pm
jwvaughn
(@jwvaughn)
Estimable Member

I'm going to hazard a guess on this...

CAD software works in an analog manner so things like tapers are smooth. The printer is digital so for a taper, at some point(s) there will be step(s). Depending on the angle of the taper the result can range from a pretty good approximation to quite ugly.

Jerry

Posted : 07/08/2020 4:13 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

when you are in '3D Editor View' can you right click on the model and select 'Fix through the Netfabb' 

this may fix a fault in the STL...

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 07/08/2020 9:47 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Can you share the .STL? it will need Zipping, then attach the Zip File. 

Posted : 07/08/2020 9:48 am
Loak
 Loak
(@loak)
Estimable Member

Hi all,

Isn't a recurring worry for PrusaSlicer to have artifact on an outside wall at the level of an inner top surface ?

I don't know if I'm clear, but in my head it is ...

MK3s Stock, PS2.3, Fusion360, Debian, Windows 10.

Posted : 07/08/2020 10:04 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

You need to read https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-how-do-i-print-this-printing-help/any-tips-to-get-rid-of-the-bulge/   there are others too but thats a recent one.

Posted : 07/08/2020 10:08 am
Share: