Clear all

Incomplete perimeters  

RSS
Markus
(@markus-5)
Incomplete perimeters

Hi all,

I have a problem on a recent print with incomplete perimeters:

The two pictures above show the same area of the part.

On the picture below, there is material missing where the ribs are meeting with the thicker wall at about the center of the image.

The preview in prusaslicer seems fine. I've highlighted the areas where the errors occur. It seems to correlate with retraction and unretracion points, but oddly it does not happen on all layers.

At first I thought maybe I have deteriorated filament (older roll), but another print came out exactly the same.

Any idea how to prevent this behavior would be appreciated 🙂

Markus

Posted : 05/11/2019 3:54 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
RE: Incomplete perimeters

The slicer preview seems to be showing gap fill (white) in the problem areas. I have never seen gap fill applied like this, only between walls. Can you save and zip a project (3MF) of your part and current settings and upload it for us to review?

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 05/11/2019 11:33 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

Bob thats the indicator for retraction/unretract not gapfill.

Posted : 06/11/2019 6:54 am
Markus
(@markus-5)
Topic starter answered:

Yes, those are the indicators for retract/unretract. I will upload a 3mf when I'm back home this afternoon.

I poked at the problem a bit more and noticed that the retract/unretract points change to different locations when I rotate the part around the Z axis.

Posted : 06/11/2019 7:26 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @neophyl

Bob thats the indicator for retraction/unretract not gapfill.

Maybe it's the perspective. They look like longer runs than the normal retract "dots". Or maybe it's this tiny laptop screen playing tricks on me. Would still like to check out a 3MF project file.

If this is happening at retraction points, check out Linear Advance calibration for that filament. If it's set too high, you can get those "gappy" retraction z-seam lines.

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 06/11/2019 11:30 am
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

Here's a Linear Advance test piece starting at LA0 at left and advancing by 5 to LA80 at the right:

Do the gaps at the z-seam look like what you're experiencing?

Posted : 06/11/2019 1:27 pm
Markus
(@markus-5)
Topic starter answered:

Hello again,

thanks for your insights. Here is the project 3mf:

faulty perimeters

Bob, the gaps on your test piece look similar but not exactly the same. The edges on my print look way more frayed/jagged. What really throws me off is the fact that I have successfully printed a lot of parts with these settings. I never touched the linear advance setting.

Markus

Posted : 06/11/2019 8:53 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @markus-p6

[...] Bob, the gaps on your test piece look similar but not exactly the same. The edges on my print look way more frayed/jagged. What really throws me off is the fact that I have successfully printed a lot of parts with these settings. I never touched the linear advance setting.

Hmm. Have you tried setting the z-seam position to another setting to see if the problems move with the seam? I don't have a 0.6mm nozzle mounted, but will try to get a test done in the next day or so.

Posted : 07/11/2019 10:34 pm
Enzyme00
(@enzyme00)
Posted by: @markus-p6

Hi all,

I have a problem on a recent print with incomplete perimeters:

I'm having the same issue since upgrading to 3.9.0, did you find a solution?

Posted : 06/06/2020 3:14 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

Bondtech set screw secure on motor shaft?

Posted : 06/06/2020 7:38 am
Share: