Clear all

Im trying to print a 100mm square lithophane  

RSS
ggeh
 ggeh
(@ggeh)
Eminent Member
Im trying to print a 100mm square lithophane

Im trying to print a 100mm square lithophane. I'm printing it vertically and it gets to a height and it falls over. I tried adding a brim but it still falls over. Im new to this and I have printed all the projects on the storage card that came with the printer. I have a PRUSA i3MK3. I'm using slic3r ver.2.0.0 which is also new to me. The filiment is from tactink PLA 1.75. I tried making puting a 4mm support on the base but one of ends started to curl. Any thoughts on how to correct this.

Thanks, Gary

Posted : 14/06/2019 11:51 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
RE: Im trying to print a 100mm square lithophane

First - soap and water to clean the PEI sheet.   Align the part so that the length is positioned front-back, so the bed movement is against the length, not the narrow part. Then - add a 12 mm brim to the print (24mm overall). 

Posted : 15/06/2019 1:07 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Also make for small high thin prints,

a extra support,

make a square with 4 horizontal poles sticking at the object.

the print object place it in the y axis, and the extra support in the z axis, so it does not move.

In thinkercad you can make a support.

T his support you can load in your slicer, and move against your to printed object, also usable for other prints.

I made this as a example, you can make everything a lot smaller/thinner.

Attachment removed
Posted : 15/06/2019 1:43 pm
vintagepc
(@vintagepc)

I just add modifier parts comprised of squares at each end to give it fins in a wide "H" shape (where the litho is the horizontal bar in the H). Since the style I print has a border and the border is hidden there's no issue with a little roughness from trimming it away. It may not help bed adhesion problems as much but it definitely cuts down on the wobble of the item as the print gets taller

Posted : 15/06/2019 2:20 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

Adding to the "make supports" group, You can add a 0.45 mm thick triangle at each end of the part. It comes off easily and acts like a brim, but no wobble.  No need for building anything complex.

Posted : 15/06/2019 5:51 pm
ggeh
 ggeh
(@ggeh)
Eminent Member
Topic starter answered:

I just want to let you know that I just finished my first lithophane and it is a success. You made this possible I dont think I would have got there on my own. I think what made a big difference was placing the model in the y-axis, the 12mm brim, and I changed pla and didnt run the first layer adjustment. I thought as long as I was using pla it wound not matter. Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie out.

Thanks alot, Gary

Posted : 15/06/2019 10:39 pm
Share: