How do I print each layer in same infill direction/angle via PrusaSlicer?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
Bvdv
 Bvdv
(@bvdv)

Dear,

I want to print a piece where each layer in directed in the same direction, namely all 0° with an infill of 100% rectilinear.

I use the newest version of PrusaSlicer to produce the G-code. The normal setting for the angle in rectilinear is +45°/-45°. With fill angle under Print settings - Infill - advanced - Fill angle, I can change this to the required 0°C, however in this case, the next layer always shift 90°. Thus the first layer is 0°, second layer is 90°, third layer is 0°, ...

How can I change this to always 0°?

Thanks in advance! 

Babs

Posted : 03/12/2019 3:11 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: How do I print each layer in same infill direction/angle via PrusaSlicer?

Hi Babs,

I don't believe you can do that with Prusa Slicer. 

what's your reason for asking, 
we may be able to suggest alternatives!

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 04/12/2019 1:17 am
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

Hi, can you please explain what is behind this request?

Infill direction change per layer has it's purpose to strenghten the model and reduce some infill surface irregularities. 

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 04/12/2019 5:17 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

@zoltan

Thanks Zoltan, 
a full model with parallel filament is  likely to be very heavy and have unballanced strength across the grain, to along the grain.. 

would it not be better to do a number of parallel layers then cross brace with layers at a different angle, 

is solid infill significantly stronger than a girder like (Or Box like) structure with reduced infill in the middle? 

Would Concentric infill provide adequate paralellism with an available infill style? 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 04/12/2019 2:33 pm
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member

I vote for Hilbert ... but that isn't unidirectional.

Posted : 04/12/2019 6:27 pm
mondo
(@mondo)

Did you find any solution to this?  My use case is transparency experimentation.  I want to print a 1.5mm thick panel that is as transparent as possible, and my theory is that if all layer lines are in the same direction there will be a lot less refraction, thus a more transparent panel.  This may turn out to be completely wrong, but I'm just looking to experiment. 

Posted : 07/12/2019 12:21 am
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

try to print it vertically ( depends how big the panel is supposed to be ) set up appropriate number of perimeters for vertical walls so there will be no infill  - theoretically it should work - you can experiment 😉 

Posted : 07/12/2019 7:23 am
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

@mondo

if you want to have large simple plain transparent panel, I would advice to reconsider the technology.

Posted : 07/12/2019 7:46 am
Monir
(@monir)

Looks like you got more questions than answers... Can't do that in Prusa Slicr, Use Cura or Simply, both can do that what you want. Just Enter two angles seperated by coma. like [0,0] or [0,180]

br

Mo

Posted : 02/01/2020 10:15 pm
3dMonster
(@3dmonster)

@mondo

Hi everyone.

If it is for a test or experiment ... You can do it by placing two or more stacked pieces without TOP LAYER or BOTTOM LAYER, and altering the INFILL angle by 90 ° in the midle layer ...

Here you can see the result, 3 layers of 0.2mm of natural PLA on a yellow and black base ... The three layers have the INFILL aligned and the lines that I presume is air trapped between the tracks.

This post was modified 4 years ago by 3dMonster
Posted : 23/01/2020 4:06 am
William H. - Official Prusa
(@william-h-official-prusa)
Member Moderator

Hello good people:) There is a way to do this, though a little hackie, using the height-range modifier. mrodriguez was onto something. I have attached a 3mf-file (had to zip it) showing what I mean. Here I have created a modifier for each of the first solid layers. I then Add settings --Infill and tick Infill angle. The angle will automatically alternate for each layer, so I set the value to 180 and 90 for every other layer to prevent this.

This will do what you need it to do without too much trouble. Admittedly, a bit of work, but aren't too many solid layers with transparent things anyhow and once done you can load any new model into this scene without changing the modifiers.
Posted : 05/02/2020 7:44 am
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

Congratulation, good job done!!!

I always learn. 🙂

Posted : 05/02/2020 10:17 am
lug
 lug
(@lug)

Many layers in one direction is also usefull for parts with flux of force in one direction, like levers. Thank you mrodriguez for your explanation.

But I would recommend that some layers should also be at 90° for holding together the other layers, for example

0° 0° 0° 0° 0° 90° 0° 0° 0° 0° 0° 90° ...

Posted : 04/08/2020 8:32 pm
HU7CH
(@hu7ch)

It seems the link is no longer working, could you please re-share? this is something I would love to have a go at 

Posted : 23/06/2022 7:48 am
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member

If all you want is a simple all infill printed in the same direction then set top and bottom layers to zero and then choose Aligned Rectilinear as the infill pattern with 100% density.  That does it without having to use any height range modifiers.

Posted : 23/06/2022 8:14 am
Spencer Witte, HU7CH, and 1 people liked
HU7CH
(@hu7ch)

THANK YOU!!!!!

Posted : 23/06/2022 9:12 am
You liked
D A M E
(@d-a-m-e)

People will ask because that’s in the Printables directions for “How to print glass” by Rygar1432 for clear PETG prints. 

Posted : 31/08/2022 10:35 pm
D A M E
(@d-a-m-e)

Rygar1432’s “how to print glass” on Printables 

Posted : 31/08/2022 10:42 pm
Share: