Notifications
Clear all

First layer problems  

RSS
leo
 leo
(@leo-3)
First layer problems
Hi. I had to reassemble the extruder of my MK3S/MMU2S, and now the first layers of my prints are not coming out right. Notice how the filament initially reaches the edge of the print (toward the right of the image), but then it falls short and becomes a bit choppy (toward the left).

Any tips on what to check or adjust?

Thanks a lot
Posted : 31/05/2020 4:39 am
RH_Dreambox
(@rh_dreambox)
Prominent Member
RE: First layer problems

If you reassembled the extruder then you will need to do a new Z calibration. From your picture it looks like the Z level is a little too high. You should also wash the textured plate with detergent and warm water, wipe it with paper and leave no fingerprints on the print surface.

Bear MK3 with Bondtech extruder

Posted : 01/06/2020 3:01 pm
leo
 leo
(@leo-3)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks. Actually I cleaned the plate with isopropyl, as usual. Also completed the calibration as well but can try it again.

Is it possible that this problem is caused by humidity in the PLA? Increasing the nozzle temperature seemed to help quite a bit, but I had to cancel the print anyway once again because it wasn't coming out right. I might try a different (sealed) filament next.

Posted : 01/06/2020 4:32 pm
RH_Dreambox
(@rh_dreambox)
Prominent Member

Isopropyl is not sufficient for a rough cleaning of the textured sheet. Detergents and hot water are the best cleaning that you can read about in hundreds of posts here on the forum.

Bear MK3 with Bondtech extruder

Posted : 02/06/2020 6:34 am
leo
 leo
(@leo-3)
Topic starter answered:

Everything is working without hiccups after trying a brand new filament. Looks like I'll need to do something about keeping the filament dry. Thanks for your help!

Posted : 03/06/2020 12:20 am
Share: