Filament gets stuck above the PTFE tube
I have a Prusa I3 MK3s and filament got stuck twice today for the same reason - as in the image.
The problem appears above the PTFE tube as in the image. What could be the problem, do you think the filament is bad or maybe something else?
A few things can cause problems with feeding filament in the upper extruder:
- If you are printing PLA in a hot room or enclosure, temps can get high enough to soften the filament and cause feed problems. Cool the extruder area down and improve air flow.
- If you are doing a long print, or any print with intense retractions, it can contribute to heat. Investigate retractions and also improve air flow.
- If you are printing flexible materials with overly-aggressive speeds, it can buckle and cause feed problems. Slow speeds way down.
- If the bondtech gears are not aligned with the filament feed path, it can cause binding. Does filament fed by hand through the top feed without snagging?
- Some filament is out-of-spec. Try another filament to confirm it's still an issue.