Notifications
Clear all

Corner warp/lifting  

RSS
Jerry S
(@jerry-s)
Trusted Member
Corner warp/lifting

I have an object that has eight 90 degree corners. The same corner keeps lifting. I have cleaned and cleaned again. I have even flipped the plate over but the same corner keeps lifting. Is it possible the heat bed is not the right temp at that particular spot? I have an MK3s using PTEG at 230/85 deg C

Posted : 11/05/2021 4:34 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
RE: Corner warp/lifting

I have found that hairspray helps prevent this and facilitates separation on cooling.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 11/05/2021 5:46 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@jerry-s

That is possible, and another thing that's possible is that the way the plastic is being laid down its pulling more in that direction as it cools. sometimes changing the infill type or direction can get you where you need to be to finish the print, another thing that can help is to use an enclosure, even a temporary one might get the job done.

Good Luck

Swiss_Cheese

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 12/05/2021 2:03 am
--
 --
(@)
Illustrious Member
Posted by: @jerry-s

I have an object that has eight 90 degree corners. The same corner keeps lifting. I have cleaned and cleaned again. I have even flipped the plate over but the same corner keeps lifting. Is it possible the heat bed is not the right temp at that particular spot? I have an MK3s using PTEG at 230/85 deg C

When all else fails, raise the bed temp 10 to 15c.  This heats the edges of the bed enough they actually get to 60 (for PLA), and makes the center of the part quite sticky and less prone to life. A bit of elephants foot or warp... hmm.

The other option that can help is to print a full height skirt. There's a check box in slicer. This builds a draft shield along with the part, keeps some of the heat in during printing. Not quite an enclosure, but it can help.

Posted : 12/05/2021 6:50 am
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

Long straight filament runs will cause warping.  There are techniques that help increase bond - such as brim, and mouse ears.  But to eliminate the stress, you may have to alter your design.  No pictures or models though, so really hard to help with more than vague generalities.  Another approach is close the enclosure door - but that can lead to other issues with low temp filaments like PLA or PETG

Posted : 12/05/2021 8:43 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

I have also found that increasing infill can reduce warping and thus lifting in some filaments.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 12/05/2021 2:02 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@cwbullet

did you mean to say Decreasing infill?

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 12/05/2021 2:11 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@swiss_cheese

I have found that some of my worst offending filaments tend to warp more with 5-15% infill than infills at 50-60%.

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 12/05/2021 2:14 pm
Swiss_Cheese
(@swiss_cheese)
Noble Member

@cwbullet

I've not had that experience, as a general rule it's accepted that less infill helps to reduce warping, and some infill patterns are also less prone to warping.

The Filament Whisperer

Posted : 12/05/2021 2:19 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@swiss_cheese

I have especially seen this with ABS-T and low infill numbers.  it never warps at 60-100% infill.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 12/05/2021 2:22 pm
Jerry S
(@jerry-s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

I will try the hair spray and brim and raise the bed temp to 90..........................hope that works. Thanks all!

Posted : 12/05/2021 4:22 pm
Eric E
(@eric-e)

What sheet are you using.  With the steel sheet, you won't have warping, you will have release issues.  With the textured, there can be warps.  With the satin - the satin is a dream (to me) for Pet-G. Still new at this though...

Don’t trust forum advice.

Posted : 12/05/2021 4:45 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)
Posted by: @eric-e

With the steel sheet, you won't have warping, you will have release issues.  With the textured, there can be warps. 

That is not entirely true if I understand your response.  You can have both warping and release issues.  It depends on the sheet.  Each sheet of the same type can be different.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 12/05/2021 5:47 pm
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

You cannot avoid sharp corners substituted by rounded?

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 12/05/2021 6:14 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@zoltan

Is that a question or a statement?   

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 12/05/2021 6:40 pm
Zoltan
(@zoltan)
Member Moderator

Question - bad grammar

even an old man can learn new things 🙂
Standard I3 mk3s, MMU2S, Prusa Enclosure, Fusion 360, PrusaSlicer, Windows 10
PRUSA MINI+ Prusalink + Prusa Connect

Posted : 16/05/2021 7:14 am
Jerry S
(@jerry-s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Update: I don't know if it was one of these or all three but the hair spray, brim and rise in bed temp cured the problem. And by the way I use the flex steel sheet that came with the MK3s.

Posted : 16/05/2021 10:16 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@jerry-s

Woohoo!  Good news.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 16/05/2021 12:43 pm
Share: