Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Color changes when it shouldn't be  

RSS
josh.m4
(@josh-m4)
Color changes when it shouldn't be

I've just changed a few things on the printer and pc, so it's a bit hard to Troubleshoot this one, and some of the changes I can't revert.
This is a i3 MK3. No MMU.

I was just printing with Inland PLA and PETG and I don't recall which firmware. 3.43 I think or so. Everything was working fine.
I have upgraded my PC, and in the process migrated to linux. I tried the linux appimage thing for prusa slicer, but due to really bad slicing and poor feature support, I stopped using it right away. I got 1 print out of it and it had some quality issues. Tried to install prusaslicer2.1 using wine and other emulators, but it wouldn't install.

I setup a Windows 7 VM and I was then able to install prusaslicer 2.1.
At this same time, I've updated the firmware to final, 3.8. I wanted that multiple build plate setting because I switch between the smooth sheet for PLA and the textured for PETG.
I also got a new filament. Matterhackers build PETG.

I have tried printing 2 different models now both sliced in Prusaslicer 2.1 in this win7 VM, and at some layers, the printer acts like I am doing a color change: Print head moves to x0, y max, prompts to eject and insert filament and asks if the color change was done correctly. When slicing, I did not set any color changes at any heights.

It's quite bothersome. First object I tried printing, it did this twice, but it was having other print quality issues early on so I stopped the print and started over. It was doing the color change procedure at what seemed like the same layer height. This was a 7 hour print and I had things to do so I couldn't babysit it like this. So I then resliced it. 3rd time trying to print, same thing is happening. Got the object finished, but had to keep checking in on it every 20 minutes. Sometimes it went for an hour, other times it seemed like every 20 minutes I had to do the process again.
I have sliced a new model and it's still doing it. I wasn't paying attention to the layer heights listed on the display to determine if it is doing it at the same heights. But I'm about to have to do this unless someone has any ideas. I can upload the gcode and the stl if that could help.

I haven't yet gone back other filaments because this is matterhackers. They are supposed to be good quality. Costs more than the cheap stuff I used to get and worked just fine, but I can't get it where I live now, so I had to get a new brand. I want to trust that this isn't a filament issue.
Anyone else had this happen after upgrading to Final version firmware and software?

Best Answer by RH_Dreambox:

If you have an MK3 (not MK3 S) then this problem may occur for some types of filaments.
The problem is that some filaments have a shiny surface structure that the filament sensor has difficult to detect and records this as the filament has run out.

If you have such a filament, you can temporarily turn off the filament sensor.
"Settings / Filament sensor Off"

This topic was modified 4 years ago by josh.m4
Posted : 01/10/2019 3:51 am
RH_Dreambox
(@rh_dreambox)
Prominent Member
RE: Color changes when it shouldn't be

If you have an MK3 (not MK3 S) then this problem may occur for some types of filaments.
The problem is that some filaments have a shiny surface structure that the filament sensor has difficult to detect and records this as the filament has run out.

If you have such a filament, you can temporarily turn off the filament sensor.
"Settings / Filament sensor Off"

Bear MK3 with Bondtech extruder

Posted : 01/10/2019 8:06 am
josh.m4
(@josh-m4)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Color changes when it shouldn't be

I totally forgot that during a firmware upgrade, all the settings are defaulted.
My filament sensor was already having issues, and it was unplugged for the longest time. I plugged it back in so there weren't dangling wires at some point, but then turned the setting off.

The firmware update turned it back on. I did a test print this morning, issue didn't occur again.

Thanks for the reply. Best answer selected.

Posted : 01/10/2019 5:42 pm
Sembazuru liked
Share: