Notifications
Clear all

Clog with PLA 100% infill  

RSS
Jrmcswain
(@jrmcswain)
Clog with PLA 100% infill

I am trying to print this:    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4892842

I chose .2mm quality, 100% infill using Prusament Galaxy Black PLA. I put 2 of them on the platter.

I can get the hot end unclogged and start the print, the first layer of the first one printed nice with no signs of a partial clog or under extruding. by the time it started the second one (still first layer) it completely clogged with no filament coming out at all.

When I started researching this after hours of failed tries and taking the hot end apart. It appears PLA jamming is common in a MK3S+ especially at 100% infill. How can I help it along? To be honest I was able to start printing 12 at one time on my other printer. Between PLA clogging and the MMU2S I am not very happy with the Prusa printer. I printed the Bear 2.1 upgrade parts in petg. I printed the Lack Enclosure V2 in petg. I even printed 5 dry boxes in hatchbox PLA and Prusament Galaxy Black PLA. 

Considering cost I would prefer to print petg anyway, is this clogging mostly a PLA issue?

Jack

Posted : 03/12/2021 8:16 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Clog with PLA 100% infill

Hello Jack... 
100% infill has never been good for me... 
so what I do, is print enough top and bottom layers to make the model solid. 

this seems to give better results than high percentage infill prints. 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 04/12/2021 12:24 am
Jrmcswain
(@jrmcswain)
Topic starter answered:

I Was thinking about that actually. It's 40 layers. So I was thinking 20 top and 20 bottom. I had no idea if it would actually work.  Because the part is not really a normal print. I believe I came across this same problem once before with 100% infill. Then in web searching it looked like failure of 100% infill is common on the MK3S.

I could only fit 2 on the Prusa bed, luckily my Wanhao can fit 12 at a time, need about 20. The Wanhao can print this sliced with ultimaker, but it does have a Mosquito hot end too.

Anyone else try different types of infill? This was my other thought.

Jack

Posted : 04/12/2021 1:21 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hello Jack, 

Prusa Slicer doesn't allow 100% infill for most infill patterns. 
I suspect this is because there are issues at high infill.

which is why I use lots of top and bottom layers to give solid models

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 04/12/2021 1:32 pm
RandyM9
(@randym9)
Honorable Member

I use 3D honeycomb infill at 40-50% when I need a solid functional part and it works really well. You might be surprised at how dense 3D honeycomb infill is at 50% when you preview after slicing.

I will also increase the number of perimeters as well as top and bottom layers per @joantabb’s  suggestion.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Posted : 04/12/2021 3:55 pm
Jrmcswain
(@jrmcswain)
Topic starter answered:

I can only make it half way through the first layer before it clogs. So in this case it is not infill. 20 top and 20 bottom layers and no go half way through the first layer.

When it clogs. The acupuncture needle goes all the way in and pulls out almost nothing on it. 

I was running first layer Calibration prints from the menu and pla would clog. This seems like a poor design issue. I am starting to suspect the taper from 2.2 mm to 2.0 mm in the heat break may be where the clog is.

But I'm afraid if I use an E3D titanium heatbreak  I will never get the tips right for the MMU2S

Posted : 04/12/2021 8:56 pm
Jrmcswain
(@jrmcswain)
Topic starter answered:

SOLVED

BEST ANSWER:

User is an idiot.

Starting fresh today, when the extruder started clicking I checked the tension screw on the bondtech gears. It was about 2 turns too loose.

When my crappy generic old filament clogged the extruder I did a cold pull. Of course I completely removed the tension screw for the bondtech screws. I never tried adjusting it with filament loaded.

Posted : 05/12/2021 12:34 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Precious learning point... 

you won't forget this

|Good luck with your next try!
regards Joan

Posted : 05/12/2021 12:37 am
RandyM9
(@randym9)
Honorable Member

No harm, no foul.

Glad you got it sorted. 

Posted : 05/12/2021 5:02 am
ssill2
(@ssill2)
Noble Member

This right here.  I find that to be true not just in 3d printing.   Hours/days puzzling over something and then figuring it out adds valuable troubleshooting experience to your toolchest.  It also builds patience and character.  Glad you got it!

Posted by: @joantabb

Precious learning point... 

you won't forget this

|Good luck with your next try!
regards Joan

Posted : 14/12/2021 1:06 am
Share: