Cannot get first layer to stick and I throught all was going so well..
I have printed this before, came out perfect, but had a tad too much support. But over the last few days I have been getting problems with the first layers specially when printing circular objects, now I cannot get this started.
What I get is this
My bed is clean, I do not have a blockage, it has been bed leveled using the standard procedure, then finalised using squares that all print perfect. I am at a loss.
I am using PLA @215C bed 60C but have tried other nozzle temps without success. The fact that it had printed before indicates that speed should not be an issue, I have changed the filament, cleaned with acetone and IPA, re-calibrated pretty much tried everything.
Any help would be appreciated.
As everything you have tried recently, has resulted in failure.
maybe it's time to try something else...
(I am surprised Acetone didn't help you. )
Anyway, could you try
Washing the build plate well, with Hot water and dish soap, scrubbing well, to ensure that any greases and other contaminants are displaced, rinse well with hot water and dry with Plain paper towels.
Do not use IPA or any other surface treatment. after washing the build plate, just in case they are contributing to the failure to get good adhesion.
Do not use cloths instead of paper towels, and use a new kitchen sponge, to ensure that you are not suffering cross contamination.
then handle the Build Plate, by the edges.
If you are not already using 7x7 mesh bed levelling, now might be a good time to start.
Check the Live Adjust 'Z' using the 'Life Adjust 'Z' My Way', Process
once all is well, re try printing your model, with a bed temperature of 70C
Thank you so much, I have gone to my office this morning and picked up the plate to take home for a good clean. I did get some prints going yesterday but with poor first layers, but as the first layer is only support and covered the whole bottom it gave good enough prints. I did also print a benchy to check the filament, temp etc.. and apart for some first layer defects (missing centre of the D and bit of missing edge) it was perfect. So I know the printer is set up well.
I will try again Monday when I get back into the office, fingers crossed it’s only a greasy/contaminated plate, and will check the height cal again
Good luck Jessica.
I find Supports are sometimes a pain to remove so I either print a raft under the supports, or if I get first layer supports stuck on the build plate, I print a test patch, over the waste, and the test patch pulls the remaining supports off, with it!
if I get first layer supports stuck on the build plate, I print a test patch, over the waste, and the test patch pulls the remaining supports off, with it!
I like that idea. Thanks.
It seems with small support footprints, it either fails to really grab or else sticks too well and doesn't readily come off. I'll try this the next time I have one of those.
Thank you Joan,
I have a perfect first layer now, also found slight angle errors on the fitting the object to the plate, it was slightly at an angle to the bed by a degree or so meaning the small cylinder was lower than the large cylinder, this complicated the support.
It is possible I had poor IPA, it was quite old, though bought from a reputable company it did not give a purity, I now have 99.9% pure for when I need it next.
IPA removes grease by dilution, it shares the grease with the bed and the wiping media.
If you don't use enough IPA and wiping media, the grease just gets spread around the build plate. and then the IPA evaporates and leaves the grease behind...
IPA also absorbs moisture and becomes less potent with age...
Dish soap, on the other hand, binds the grease with suffactants and allows it to be washed off...
It's a different process...
Both have their place,
Dish soap, works when IPA stops working...
As a follow-up on Joan's suggestion of printing a patch over hard-to-remove supports, I had a similar issue and similar solution.
My overnight print a couple of days ago (Hatchbox ABS) was cool when I got to it and although the model released cleanly, the prime strip on the front would not budge. I had learned the hard way to never use metal implements to remove stuck plastic so I resisted that temptation.
I preheated the machine and started another print (pick a print, any print) and stopped it right after the prime line was complete.
Sure enough, it came right off, along with the previously welded-to-the-build-plate prime line. 😉