Anyone managed to print the lithophane moon lamp with Vanilla White Prusament PLA?
 
Notifications
Clear all

Anyone managed to print the lithophane moon lamp with Vanilla White Prusament PLA?  

  RSS
Friedrich Nietzsche
(@friedrich-nietzsche)
Active Member
Anyone managed to print the lithophane moon lamp with Vanilla White Prusament PLA?

Hi,

since two days I am trying to print the Moon Lamp ( https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/23859-designer-lithophane-moon-lamp) with Vanilla White Prusament PLA on my MK3S, but for some reason the print always fails. After around one cm of height the print either gets torn off from the bed, I have serious layer adhesion problems or similar issues. I am using Prusa Slicer default profile together with the Prusament preset. A temp tower test print turned out almost perfect. I also used alcohol and acetone to clean the bed.

This is pretty annoying, since I only bought this filament to potentially get a better quality print after already successfully printing another moon lamp with a different filament, which had a stringing problems and a few tiny holes.

So has already someone tried the moon lamp with Prusament or even this exact color?

Posted : 18/08/2021 6:16 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: Anyone managed to print the lithophane moon lamp with Vanilla White Prusament PLA?

To get good prints, you need this:

1. Clean bed, dish soap is the best, use a lot of hot water. In between you can use alcohol, use a lot of alcohol.

2. First layer needs to be 100%.

Both settings are for sticking to the bed.

Extra you could use glue stick.

Make pictures of your first layer?

If possible film your print and see what fails, if nozzle hits the part, check your hardware for loose bolts screws etc.

And pla does not very good on the powder coated bed, use the pei sheet.

This post was modified 4 months ago by Peter M
Posted : 22/08/2021 5:22 am
Baklin
(@baklin)
Reputable Member

I had planned to do this print for some time now, but needed a time where I could keep an eye on it for 2 days.

 

I used the 0.2mm Quality profile with 4 vertical shells, 5mm brim and Elephant foot compensation set to 0.

For the filament I used the Prusament PLA profile with the temp raised to 225 deg C. This vanilla PLA was never stored in a bag or dry box after opening it almost a year ago. I dried it before using but it is very brittle now and breaks when I bend it. The extra temp looks to be printing fine,

 

The print is at 50% now and no problems with adhesion. I always wash the bed with dish soap and plenty of hot water before a long print and only use IPA in between print (not really for cleaning but more to remove dust)

 

The brim and a clean bed with the right z offset should give this print good adhesion. Maybe you could raise the bed temp a little too (+5 deg C)

 

Posted : 13/09/2021 5:16 pm
Share: