Notifications
Clear all

1st Layer PETG Issues  

RSS
bpang
(@bpang)
1st Layer PETG Issues

Hey all,
I've been printing with PETG for a while, and all my prints have been coming out perfectly. Recently however, all my 1st layers have been getting a weird warping like shown below. Is there a reason for this weird texture? 

The event that happened right before prints started to fail was part of the print became unstuck and the PETG was globbed up by nozzle. After cleaning I looked at the hot end and unsure if one of the wires was burned off or not... there's another picture at the end of this.

Thanks for any help!

Hot end wires missing? 

Posted : 28/04/2020 11:27 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member
RE: 1st Layer PETG Issues

Your bed is not clean!

Clean bed with dish soap, then a few prints with alcohol, small and big flat prints always use dish soap, this will make sticking better, if you change filament do also dish soap.

Then use 7x7 calibration, see settings of you printer.

Make your first calibration 100%, then sticking gets better.

For your wires, print then you now if it works.

Posted : 29/04/2020 10:37 am
lee.g
(@lee-g)
Estimable Member
RE: 1st Layer PETG Issues

Please stop blindly put this post up Peter.  In this case it needs a little more information or it could lead to bed damage from the PETG sticking to much.  Yes this is an adhesion issue so the video does have some relevance but your response should be more tailored to the OP's problem in this case. 

It looks like you have glue stick on the bed which is a recognised method to use when printing with PETG.  However a complete refresh may be in order or try window cleaner as a barrier as it is a much less messy alternative.  Yes you will need to fully clean the bed with the dish soap method prior to applying your chosen PETG separator.

Easy to check if your wire is broken by just turning on the PLA preheat from the menu.  If it comes up to temperature then no problem.

Your first layer look slightly to squished but don't change that until you get the bed prepped correctly for PETG.  Once your adhesion issue is sorted then fine tune your first layer. 

Posted : 29/04/2020 11:32 am
steve liked
Share: