Clear all

X-axis shifting - out of ideas!  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: X-axis shifting - out of ideas!

Some people are expressing issues with the Motor Driver chips overheating... is it possible to cool your einsy board?  or maybe put heatsinks on the stepper driver chips?  I saw someone tuck a small fan inside the einsy case, over the stepper driver chip area... (Can't remember who)

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 28/11/2020 2:12 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

I like this case from Zaribo.The fan can be placed anywhere, e.g. on the driver heatsink. There is a variant with or without the installation of a Raspberry:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3239428

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 28/11/2020 2:30 pm
Newk
 Newk
(@newk)
Topic starter answered:

@joantabb

Lots of people are telling me that temperatures might be a problem on the board or the motors themselves. 

I personally don‘t think this is the problem since the temperature inside my enclosure is never above 30 degrees. It won‘t hurt to try however so I‘ll add a fan after the next test tomorrow. I‘ve put so many hours in so far that this won‘t make a difference anymore. The case you linked seems nice @karl-herbert. I might print that. Thanks!

Posted : 28/11/2020 2:35 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@newk

Keep us posted.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 28/11/2020 5:55 pm
fuchsr
(@fuchsr)
Famed Member

Are you seeing one or more layer shifts? In my case it is almost always just one (with a rare second one, which as @baklin has pointed out could be a crash detection shifting things back). Which makes it hard for me to understand why a voltage issue (or even a belt issue etc) could cause it as I would expect to see shifts more frequently. 

Posted : 29/11/2020 2:04 am
Newk
 Newk
(@newk)
Topic starter answered:

@fuchsr

It‘s the same for me. I rarely have more than one shift in a print. Right now I‘m printing for 18 hours without any layer shift once again. The error might happen in a few hours though with this print...

This is the test without crash detection btw.
This post was modified 3 years ago by Newk
Posted : 29/11/2020 7:34 am
Newk
 Newk
(@newk)
Topic starter answered:

Well, bite my shiny 3D-printed case... without crash detection the print worked!

Now I need to debug on that! It seems to me that the crash detection is much too sensitive because it was triggering sometimes without anything obviously wrong. In a print like this I would have like 5-10 crashs over 32 hours print time.

Posted : 30/11/2020 5:42 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Newk, ~
have you looked at lubing the linear rails? 
checked whether the back panel on the X axis is too tight? 
checked whether the Y axis Ubolts are too tight? 
could the X and Y Idler mounting bolts too tight causing friction on the idler rollers?

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 30/11/2020 9:59 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@joantabb

X and Y Idler mounting bolts?  I did a quick Google search.  Which bolts and steps are those?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/11/2020 10:23 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

the X and Y belts have a motor at one end of travel, and an idler pulley at t he other end, it is possible to over tighten the bolts that retain the idler pulleys and cause friction between the aluminium rollers and the plastic side cheeks

regards Joan

Posted : 30/11/2020 10:48 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@joantabb

Thanks.  That helps.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 30/11/2020 10:59 am
Same Old Shane
(@same-old-shane)
Member Admin

@newk

one thing I did not see mentioned... and humor me on this one, but did you try and disconnect octoprint fully and let it just run directly from the printer without octoprint connected? I would give it a shot for X amount of time, then if it is not doing it, you might have found the problem, at that point you could try a fresh install on your octoprint then.

As far as the heat issue, not sure.... but could be that people missed that he has a vent on top that he can control the temps a bit. And for the 35-45c... that was what prusa would run their print farms at so there was little issues with the electronics having issues... For some, its when they hit 70c (no I dont know why they would want it that high) in the chamber, then you can have issues with the electronics and motors.

Shane (AKA FromPrusa)

Posted : 30/11/2020 12:47 pm
Haum
 Haum
(@haum)
Eminent Member

Heyho,
check the linear bearings of the X-axis (or maybe it's better to replace them directly).

Here is a short explanation why:
In the beginning, when I just got my printer, I could not detect any "strange" noises when the axes moved around. However, this changed a few weeks later, and I could hear a soft cracking sound several times per print (depending on the size of the print). A friend then gave me the idea during a conversation that the linear bearings jam sporadically. Most of the time the resistance is so low that the motor simply runs over it. But sometimes the bearing jams a bit more and the motor needs a few steps to overcome the resistance, which causes the misalignment.

So try to sit next to your printer and listen carefully if you hear a slight cracking sound sometimes. If so, I would invest the few bucks and replace the bearings and see what happens.

Hope this helps you out,

Greets,
Haum

Posted : 30/11/2020 11:35 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: