Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Why does my MK3 ask for a filament change?  

RSS
Ira S
(@ira-s)
Trusted Member
Why does my MK3 ask for a filament change?

I've been experiencing a problem where the printer asks for a filament change - and I'm only printing with one color and only have a standard MK3 printer (no MMU).  Seems to happen around layer 2 or 3 - sometimes more than once per print.

The printhead moves to the front, asks to unload filament, then asks to reload filament, then continues on its way.

I'm using Sainsmart TPU yellow, which is kind of translucent - is the filament sensor thinking I'm out of filament? But if so, why would it ask to unload?

Attached is gcode from one of the prints. I searched for M600 (initiate filament change), M702 M701 (unload and reload filament) and didn't see any of these. 

I've included the gcode in case I've missing something where Prusa Slicer decided to add gcode for changing filament that I'm not recognizing. 

Any thoughts? 

Attachment removed
Posted : 29/01/2020 3:37 pm
Bodo
 Bodo
(@bodo)
Estimable Member
RE: Why does my MK3 ask for a filament change?

@ira-s3, Your filament sensor might recognize no filament, although there is. Try cleaning the filament sensor (mostly dust), and see if it's connected properly. If that doesn't help, try switching off the filament sensor from the printer's menu, and see if it reoccurs.

Posted : 29/01/2020 4:03 pm
Ira S
(@ira-s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

I will try that. 

If the filament sensor detects "no filament" does it still ask to unload first?  

Posted : 29/01/2020 4:09 pm
Bodo
 Bodo
(@bodo)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @ira-s3

I will try that. 

If the filament sensor detects "no filament" does it still ask to unload first?  

Yes, it does that. Here's an article about the Mk3s specifically (not the Mk3), but that might be worth a read anyways: https://help.prusa3d.com/article/43mduc4zdn-untitled-article-t-3-g

Posted : 29/01/2020 8:38 pm
Ira S
(@ira-s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter answered:

Thank you - this explains what I'm seeing completely. I'll disable the sensor via the LCD menu when using this filament. Thanks again.

Posted : 29/01/2020 9:11 pm
Share: