Notifications
Clear all

What would you do if this happened to you?  

RSS
Physikal
(@physikal)
What would you do if this happened to you?

So...I made a mistake and let a print go over night w/o checking on it....woops.

For sure a rebuild is in order, but is the PINDA bad now that it has that scuff? And would you replace the entire print head? I also broke off the print head thermister in the print head, so that'll take some work to replace.

Curious what you guys would recommend doing if you were me.  Photos here: https://imgur.com/a/9k7GMZd

Posted : 30/06/2020 10:43 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: What would you do if this happened to you?

Hi Physikal,

I had a blob like that recently, 

I raised the extruder to the top, so I could access it from below, 

then I heated the extruder as hot as it would go, and used a soldering iron, to carve the bulk  of the blob off. being careful not to damage the Thermistor and heater wires. 

then I used paper towels to wipe off the waste material, I gave the build plate a really good clean with dish soap and water, and re did the Live Z

and went back to using the printer, no spare parts needed...      

is your Pinda actually broken? or is it just a ting chip off the bottom, and a scratch on the surface? 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 30/06/2020 11:37 pm
Physikal
(@physikal)
Topic starter answered:

@joantabb

Soldering Iron!!!! Genius!! I wish I would have thought of that to start haha.  yes the pinda has a chip, but I don't know if it still works or not, assuming it does.  I was just going to replace it since I'm going to rebuild anyway.

Posted : 01/07/2020 12:17 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

If your only problem, is the  Blob, Clean it off, and carry on printing... 

No need to re build, unless you physically broke something... 

you can test the pinda with a piece of metal, 

if the metal is near the plastic end of the pinda the LED should go dark, 
If you move the metal away, the LED should iluminate. 

and the LCD Display of sensor atatus, should change between 0 an 1 when metal is near...  

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 01/07/2020 12:37 am
HeneryH
(@heneryh)
Estimable Member

I'd make sure the cooling fans are properly circulating air where it needs to cool.

Posted : 01/07/2020 3:28 am
Share: