What is settings priority in Print/Filament/Printer Settings?

Notifications
Clear all

RSS
Hooch
(@hooch)
Trusted Member

Hi,

I'm very new to 3D printing. I had 1 printer before that I used for short time.
Now I'm playing with settings in PrusaSlicer.

What is the priority of settings in those 3 sections Print/Filament/Printer.

Example:
If I have different Max Volumetric Speed defined in Print and Filament settings.
Print Settings 15 - Filament Settings 1 -> It will take 1 from Filament Settings.
Print Settings 1 - Filament Settings 15 -> It will take 1 from Print Settings.

This looks like it takes slower value from both settings.

Is this for all settings? How it works for other settings?

Second example:
My default printer profile has Layer Height Limit set to min: 0.07 and max: 0.25

BUT. When slicing with 0.3 layerheigh it has no problem creating 0.3 layer height. So what is this setting in printer profile for, if it doesn't limit what can be generated anyway?

Posted : 02/11/2020 11:39 am
lauramiller199846
(@lauramiller199846)
RE: What is settings priority in Print/Filament/Printer Settings?

I faced similar kind of issue last time, I am still searching for some proper solution Same issue still no fix to this.

Posted : 05/11/2020 11:19 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Hooch, Laura, 
Have you looked in the Prusa Slicer Userguide? 

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/general-info_1910

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 05/11/2020 7:09 pm
Vojtěch Bubník
(@vojtech-bubnik)
Member Admin

1) the minimum is taken.

2) 

: My default printer profile has Layer Height Limit set to min: 0.07 and max: 0.25

: BUT. When slicing with 0.3 layerheigh it has no problem creating 0.3 layer height. So what is this setting in printer profile for, if it doesn't limit what can be generated anyway?

The layer height range is mainly used for limiting the variable layer height. The whole topic  is a bit more complex, as we are providing a Draft print profile, which prints with a layer height bigger than the layer height limit, but with wider extrusions. The layer height limit is there to limit the extrusion height of the variable layer height using the usual extrusion widths.

Posted : 06/11/2020 10:51 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Hoock, 
Have you seen Bubvniks post above, he is one of the developers at Prusa... 

Can I offer my observations regarding your  layer height query. 

As an example I am stepping away from the draft settings because they are a more special case.
if the Max layer height limit  In the extruder settings is below the layer height set in print settings, then the print setting takes priority during variable layer height adjustment
If the Max Layer height limit in extruder settings is larger than the layer height set in Print settings, the variable layer height can exceed the Print settings layer height to the limit of Max Layer height, when using the variable layer height tool.

so... 
If layer height is set to say 0.15mm in printer settings and the extruder min limit is 0.070 Max Limit is 0.12 (For example) 
then without variable layerheight the slicer will use 0.15mm layer height
therefore, when Variable layer height is used you will be able to set layers between o.o7 and o.15mm

If the Min Layer height remains at 0.07 and Max layer height is set to 0.18mm  with a print settings layer height still  set to 0.15mm

variable layer height will be able to set layers between 0.07 and 0.18mm (thus exceeding the normal layer height setting)

effectively the MAX  variable layer height limit is the greater of  th e two values, Layer height and Max Layer height 

regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 06/11/2020 1:19 pm
Share: