Notifications
Clear all

Weird sploots and burnt plastic?  

RSS
Tanner
(@tanner)
Weird sploots and burnt plastic?

Hello everyone,

Recently I upgraded my Mk3 with the new Zodiac Nozzle.  I followed Prusa's video online on how to replace the nozzle and followed Zodiac's instruction on their Instagram to increase the nozzle temperature for PLA to 225~230C.  The first few prints I completed used Fillamentum's Vertigo Grey and everything I printed came out cleaner than with the brass nozzle that came with the printer.  

Then issues started to arise.  I switched to Fillamentum Traffic White as I wanted to do some direct comparisons.  I started getting unusual surges and excess globs appear in my layers, as well as darkened material as though the plastic was starting to burn.  I was sure to stop tightening the nozzle as soon as I felt friction, knowing that there was supposed to be a small gap between the nozzle and the block.  However, when I was printing the white, there was noticeable build-up all around the visible nozzle.  I also get unusual spurts or sploots of plastic in my prints since upgrading too and as such can cause my prints to fail.  Many of these excess surges are typically darker or brown.  

In the past with the original nozzle, I had issues with the Traffic White where when I was getting to the last 10% of the spool, it had a tendency to jam. I had to stop the print, try to do an unload, but the bulbous end that caused the jam couldn't get past the gears so I had to open the side door, cut the filament at the gears and using the pliers, pull the plastic out of the extruder that way.

Anyway, I actively wash the textured steel plate every couple weeks with warm, soapy water and avoid touching the print surface with my fingers, and wipe down the print surface every few days or so with an isopropyl alcohol wipe.

I've also attached a screenshot collage of the various settings I've tweaked for the new nozzle.  These problems occur regardless of layer height. I usually print 0.1-0.2mm.  Infill also always changes.  I can always try to reseat the nozzle but I thought I'd ask here first.  Thankfully I don't have any major projects headed my way but ideally, I get this figured out sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Tanner

Best Answer by Tanner:

I figured it out.  I ended up removing the nozzle, then reinserting it. But I watched a Thomas Sanladerer video and he suggested just tightening the nozzle after tightening the block back.  That, plus reenabling Only retract when crossing perimeters fixed my problems of over- and under-extrusion.

Posted : 08/01/2020 1:07 pm
Tanner
(@tanner)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Weird sploots and burnt plastic?

Edit: I will mention that I'm not sure why I turned off Only retract when crossing perimeters. I turned that back on and it helped a little.  But I still get unusual surges of oozing or areas (not necessarily on the first layer) of raised or missing extrusion.

Posted : 09/01/2020 1:20 pm
Tanner
(@tanner)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Weird sploots and burnt plastic?

I figured it out.  I ended up removing the nozzle, then reinserting it. But I watched a Thomas Sanladerer video and he suggested just tightening the nozzle after tightening the block back.  That, plus reenabling Only retract when crossing perimeters fixed my problems of over- and under-extrusion.

Posted : 09/01/2020 3:00 pm
Share: