Notifications
Clear all

Not a failed print but lot of "hair"  

RSS
levystore
(@levystore)
Not a failed print but lot of "hair"

Hi,

I've never had this issue before, all my prints since I get the MK3 went well, but after 2 months of non-use, as you can see on the picture the last few print was full of hair. I don't really know what that comes from as I haven't changed any setting or anything.

Do you know what may cause this issue? And how to fix it?

Thanks!

Best Answer by bobstro:

I've got some notes on fighting stringing here that might be useful. It's important to note when the stringing starts.

• If you experience fine stringing with dry filament, calibrating the extrusion multiplier for each filament can help bring it under control.
  • As @neophyl notes, filament that has absorbed moisture is a common problem and will account for a sudden increase in stringing.  This seems to be your case. Trying another spool or drying your current spool would be a good starting point.

Based on painful experience, I'd suggest trying these two measures before you start tweaking retraction and other settings that have previously worked. I screwed up several good profiles before I realized I had physical filament issues rather than slicer settings issues.

Posted : 25/02/2021 12:43 pm
Neophyl
(@neophyl)
Illustrious Member
RE: Not a failed print but lot of "hair"

Its called 'stringing'.  It can be caused by a variety of things.  People usually try and increase retraction to remove it.  However its often caused by filament that has absorbed moisture.  Running the filament through a dehydrator before printing often helps mush more than chasing retraction values.  2 Months of non use would also indicate 2 months of your filament being sat there.  Was it stored in a sealed bag with dessicant ?

Btw fine hair stringing like that can be removed very easily using a jet flame lighter.  A VERY quick pass with the flame causes them to shrivel up.

Posted : 25/02/2021 12:49 pm
levystore
(@levystore)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks for the right word!

Hum, nah I didn't store it, I only left it as it is, and I live in Australia with 80% of humidity at the moment so I guess it must be that. I don't actually have any dehydrator, is there any other way to "dry" it? 

And yes I found it quite easy to remove, I was just worried that it could be a problem with the nozzle or something.

Posted : 25/02/2021 12:58 pm
bobstro
(@bobstro)
Illustrious Member

I've got some notes on fighting stringing here that might be useful. It's important to note when the stringing starts.

• If you experience fine stringing with dry filament, calibrating the extrusion multiplier for each filament can help bring it under control.
  • As @neophyl notes, filament that has absorbed moisture is a common problem and will account for a sudden increase in stringing.  This seems to be your case. Trying another spool or drying your current spool would be a good starting point.

Based on painful experience, I'd suggest trying these two measures before you start tweaking retraction and other settings that have previously worked. I screwed up several good profiles before I realized I had physical filament issues rather than slicer settings issues.

My notes and disclaimers on 3D printing

and miscellaneous other tech projects
He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking. -- Spock in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Posted : 25/02/2021 4:21 pm
levystore
(@levystore)
Topic starter answered:

Thanks bobstro, I had a look and it seems very interesting. Yes I think I will try to dry it up first using my oven then.

Posted : 26/02/2021 4:02 am
Share: