Notifications
Clear all

Multiple Failed Prints  

RSS
rhett.gibson
(@rhett-gibson)
Multiple Failed Prints

I was running great, but I started having problems with the model coming loose from the bed.  PLA.  I reran the calibration wizard and gave it a try, but it will run a few layers and then come loose.  

Posted : 13/07/2020 12:39 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator
RE: Multiple Failed Prints

Try washing the build plate... 
handle by the edges and dry with paper towels, then use without any other surface preparation...

Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 13/07/2020 12:47 am
rhett.gibson
(@rhett-gibson)
Topic starter answered:

I tried cleaning the build plate as directed, but I'm still having trouble.  Here's some background.  My printer is pretty new, I'm still on the same spool of PLA.  I printed a flat rectangular object and noticed it seemed to curl on the bottom.  It wasn't exactly flat.  After that, every time I tried to print, the piece would come off the build plate.  I have the smooth plate, vs the rough plate.  I cleaned the plate with acetone,but it still didn't stick.  I then alcohol with similar results.  Last I washed it as you suggested above.  I suspected I may need to calibrate it, and did that.  I tried the first layer calibration again, as well, but everything still comes off.  I suspect the 1st layer calibration is the issue, but I'm not sure what to do next.  

Posted : 15/07/2020 12:55 am
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Hi Rhett, 
When you washed the build plate, did you scrub the surface really well? the sponge is usually good enough, but I have used the green side without causing significant damage to the smooth sheet. 

after washing did you dry with Paper towels and use straight away. or did you pollute the surface with IPA? or other surface treatment?  please try  washing and drying alone

I use 70C on the bed temperature for larger prints on textured Build plates. that might help you. 

are you using 7x7 mesh bed levelling? 
If not, give it a try.  (available via the LCD Menu)

are you trying to use the Prusa First layer calibration process? 

If you are, Please try the 'Life Adjust Z, My Way' process 
https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-mk3-assembly-and-first-prints-troubleshooting/life-adjust-z-my-way/
there is a zip file with three test patches at the bottom of the first post on the first page. 

instructions on using them are described in the thread. 

Good luck, 
regards Joan

I try to make safe suggestions,You should understand the context and ensure you are happy that they are safe before attempting to apply my suggestions, what you do, is YOUR responsibility. Location Halifax UK

Posted : 15/07/2020 1:30 am
rhett.gibson
(@rhett-gibson)
Topic starter answered:

I gave the plate a good scrubbing and dried with a paper towel as described.  Next, I did the mesh bed leveling.  Then I did the Life Adjust Z process and adjusted it to -0.70.  The test print looks pretty crisp, but it only sticks on the periphery.  Once I got it looking pretty good, I tried again to print the included whistle, but it almost immediately came unstuck.  I really appreciate the assistance I've gotten.   

Posted : 15/07/2020 6:55 pm
JoanTabb
(@joantabb)
Veteran Member Moderator

Can we see the first layer on your latest whistle please?

regards Joan

Posted : 15/07/2020 10:44 pm
rhett.gibson
(@rhett-gibson)
Topic starter answered:

I created this by just printing the whistle and cancelling the job after a couple of layers.  It doesn't look like I have the depth correct.  

Posted : 16/07/2020 2:37 pm
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Most important for 3 d printing,

clean bed

first layer should be 100%

Both settings are for to get the bed 100 % sticking.

This also prevents getting a big ball of filament sticking to the nozzle.

Posted : 19/07/2020 5:47 am
Share: