Notifications
Clear all

MK3S + MMU2S + PT100?  

RSS
attic_layout
(@attic_layout)
MK3S + MMU2S + PT100?

I have an MK3 + MMU2S and I would like to install a PT100.

The MMU2S adds another sensor to be plugged into the Einsy (see manual step here), meaning both the rows of Ext P3 (from here) are occupied. P3 6, 7, and 8 are not actually used, but they're blocked by the connector. Additionally, ones a ground pin and the other two are digital and the PT100 amp board from E3D needs an analog pin. Specifically, the sensor uses P10 on the Ext P3 connector which seems to commonly be used for the signal on the PT100. With Ext P1 and P2 taken by the LCD cables, does this mean we're out of analog pins on the Einsy? I.e. the PT100 cannot be used with the MK3S + MMU2S?

Or perhaps we theoretically could by using an ADC and one of the blocked digital pins, perhaps with some firmware changes?

Posted : 09/08/2019 12:40 am
attic_layout
(@attic_layout)
Topic starter answered:
RE: MK3S + MMU2S + PT100?

For lack of anything better to do, I used the -5V connector and the T0 connector. So I'm coupling the two connectors and ignoring one ground. After flashing the firmware, everything seems fine. Should I be worried?

Posted : 09/08/2019 1:24 am
toma.l17
(@toma-l17)

I have same setup and pt100 connected to 5V connector and signal to TO.  After upload 3.7.2. software trought arduino IDE, measuring on pt100 works but values of axis are displayed ?. What is your version of software,  version of rambo and method of uploading the firmware?

It would be valuable for me.

Thank you 

Posted : 09/08/2019 11:26 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

For lack of anything better to do, I used the -5V connector and the T0 connector

You are OK. The J7 connector pin 2 is mislabeled as -5V in online images.

It is actually Vcc (+5) if you look at the EINSY schematics voltage regulator section. https://github.com/ultimachine/Einsy-Rambo/blob/1.1a/board/Project%20Outputs/Schematic%20Prints_Einsy%20Rambo_1.1a.PDF

Also look here https://www.reddit.com/r/prusa3d/comments/cnw8dt/how_to_set_up_mk3s_mmu2s_with_pt100/ where someone else has done a nice image (except you don't need to connect to both ground pins, just one)

Posted : 09/08/2019 7:29 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

an interesting comment on amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/PT100-Total-Upgrade-Kit-V6-KIT-PT100/product-reviews/B07D5JXDBQ/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_vote_lft?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=two_star&voteInstanceId=R198FEJN6AJFGV&voteValue=1&pageSize=10&csrfT=goqNn3Zzn5SAJx2fYryqKncjGeeCmO9EEmIJAQEAAAABAAAAAF1OFuFyYXcAAAAA%2B4kUEk%2F7iMGR3xPcX6iU&

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 10/08/2019 1:07 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member

He is probably pedantically correct. However, I don't think it matters as a practical concern. unless you insist that your 290C nozzle reading is exactly 290C nozzle. What actually matters is that the temperature reading be repeatable on your printer. You are going to adjust print temperature for each filament so it works well on your printer. So long as the thermal sensor gives the the same reading  for the same temperature between sessions, you will print successfully with your settings on your machine.

If we match between machines to within 2 - 3 C, we likely get near equivalent results. Sure, you don't want your reading to be like 20C off from actual, but some deviation can still be worked around. 

Go all out like he did and make more accurate, but you still end up needing to tune for each filament on your machine.

Posted : 10/08/2019 1:37 am
attic_layout
(@attic_layout)
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: toma.l17

After upload 3.7.2. software trought arduino IDE, measuring on pt100 works but values of axis are displayed ?. What is your version of software,  version of rambo and method of uploading the firmware?

I'm not sure what you mean by this - what does "but values of axis are displayed" refer to? I'm using 3.7.2 and I used PrusaSlicer to flash the firmware. I don't have the board revision handy (it's the Einsy Rambo), but I can grab it if you'd like.

Posted by: guy.k2

You are OK. The J7 connector pin 2 is mislabeled as -5V in online images.

I was confused by that for a bit. I probed the board with my multimeter, saw that it was +5v and trusted my multimeter over the picture I found online so I just went for it. Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm pumped that this is working. Starting with no information, it was shockingly difficult to find information about the PT100 and MK3S (or I'm really bad at looking). Turns out it's really straightforward!

Posted : 10/08/2019 2:57 am
Dave Avery
(@dave-avery)
Honorable Member

the axis display is probably because you didn't disable multi language support in config.h per the build insructions

Posted : 10/08/2019 4:09 am
Share: