Notifications
Clear all

mk3s+ makes a rattling noise  

RSS
Lvalter
(@lvalter)
mk3s+ makes a rattling noise

My printer has suddenly started to make a weird rattling/clicking noise, as if something was loose.

haven't been able to figure ot where the noise comes from.

Does any one know?

the printer still prints perfect.

Best Answer by Lvalter:

@dan-rogers

Thank you for your help.

Upon further investigation, I found  that the noise came from a defective bearing on the x axis. It had also scratched up the upper smooth rod 😒.

I wrote to prusa, and they will send me replacement parts.

Posted : 14/04/2021 7:24 pm
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member
RE: mk3s+ makes a rattling noise

That clicking is your extruder gears slipping.  This can happen from a number of causes.

- your temperature is too low for the material you are printing (filament won't feed easily because it is barely getting melted)

- your temperature is too high for the material you are printing (heat creeps up past the heat break on slow prints and starts softening the filament.

- the extruder filament tension is not set correctly

You will probably want to check the tension is set properly, and also check if the gears that move the filament need cleaning (that noise means gear is grinding against the filament as it slips, this can leave little bits of plastic stuck to the gears, making the situation magnify over time.

Posted : 15/04/2021 2:38 pm
Lvalter liked
Lvalter
(@lvalter)
Topic starter answered:
RE: mk3s+ makes a rattling noise

@dan-rogers

Thank you for your help.

Upon further investigation, I found  that the noise came from a defective bearing on the x axis. It had also scratched up the upper smooth rod 😒.

I wrote to prusa, and they will send me replacement parts.

Posted : 15/04/2021 3:15 pm
Share: