Notifications
Clear all

Massive Layer Shift????  

RSS
Paul
 Paul
(@paul-6)
Massive Layer Shift????

I'm having problems with massive layer shifts.  It happens about an hour and a half to 4 hours into a print.  I can't print anything significant at the moment.   I don't know if this is a software problem or something else. If it were small layer shifts, I would know what to do.  But this is a single layer that shifts over an inch (2.5 CM).  I'm at a loss at what is the problem.

I don't see anyone else having this problem, so I guess I'll start a thread.

Posted : 09/08/2019 3:04 am
Bunny Science
(@bunny-science)
Noble Member
RE: Massive Layer Shift????

OK. Your picts show a large x-shift and the print objects have not dislodged, nor does there appear to be a raised lip that would cause a mechanical crash against the printed object.

You don't show much of your x-axis, but that probably doesn't matter. Most of the troubleshooting depends on feeling the carriage motion, not things one can see.

A large, single direction layer shift suggests too much resistance was encountered during a fast non-print move.

This is a mechanical problem with your x-axis having too much resistance or perhaps a loose motor drive pulley. Resistance issues can range anywhere from bad bearings, lack of bearing lubrication, debris inside bearing, excess back plate bolt tension, poorly printed bearing beds, objects blocking cable motion, to excess belt tension. The list of things to check is long and you need to work through them.

My strategy is to check x-carriage motion freedom with belt detached. It should move with practically no resistance through entire width - like sliding across ice. It is normal to feel some springiness of the extruder cable bundle, but if you detect anything catching or causing friction, you must correct the issue. Mind whether things change as you bolt up the rear plate.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Bunny Science
Posted : 09/08/2019 7:50 pm
Share: