RSS
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
RE: M112 Called - Emergency Stop - Thermal Runaway Protection
Posted by: @charles-h13

Did you solder that to the Einsy?  

Nope, I have not yet.  I was hoping that pushing those tabs in on the molex pins would ensure a better contact to fix this issue which it seems to be doing so far.  If I get another M112, I'll be soldering those wires to those pins to solidify that connection.

MK3s / My IKEA Lack enclosure

Posted : 09/10/2020 2:00 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@jurassic73

I have been using these connectors for nearly 2 years and over a dozen different printers.  Are your sure there is nothing else cause these to fail?   

Soldering to the Einsy should be a last resort.  

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/10/2020 2:07 am
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @charles-h13

@jurassic73

I have been using these connectors for nearly 2 years and over a dozen different printers.  Are your sure there is nothing else cause these to fail?   

Soldering to the Einsy should be a last resort.  

Am I sure there's nothing else causing issues?  Nope, not a Prusa engineer.  🙂    Experiences can be different too.  Great you've had good success with your printers.

So far I've...

- replaced thermistor three times over a few months

- replaced heater cartridge a few weeks back

- replaced cooling fan with stock Prusa spec fan and shroud

- PID calibration after every part replacement

- firmware up to date

- octoprint and octopi all up to date

Every time I've swapped the thermistor I'd get a few good prints and then I'd start to see the spikes.  The next suspect item for me is the plug.  Support was noting it may be the fan blowing on the heater block but there's no way temps could swing up and down that quick by cooling and heating the block which has a silicon sock.  I'm guessing vibrations are affecting a marginal connection.  Karl's experience seems to be the same.   Just going by the process of elimination.

Soldering and heat shrinking a few wires to pins is no big deal if that's the permanent fix until I have to replace a worn out thermistor assembly.  

This post was modified 3 years ago by jurassic73

Posted : 09/10/2020 2:25 am
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

@jurassic73

Are you sure that Molex Connector on the Einsy is not loose?

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 09/10/2020 12:22 pm
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

So I may have been chasing the wrong issue all along... a while back I built a relay box so I can control power to a power strip from my OctoPrint Pi.  This power strip has three things plugged in to it.  My printer, enclosure LED strips and my enclosure exhaust fan.  The relay is a 5V relay I'm driving with a GPIO pin which only provides 3.3V.

I bumped the relay box earlier today and noted the LEDs flickered.   I'm guessing the 3.3V is not enough to physically trigger the 5v spec'd relay correctly and vibrations from wherever, printer, my house from walking, etc, could affect it.

I've since moved my printer's power to a full time strip and I have a few prints to print today.  Solid so far.

This post was modified 3 years ago by jurassic73

Posted : 09/10/2020 4:59 pm
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

So that relay box was not the issue.  I thought it was but then the issue came back.  I was plugged into the wall and still had issues.  Today I replaced my einsy with a Fysetc prusa clone.  I was able to fire up and print for a few hours just fine.  A 3.5 hour print completed fine.  Then, I started to get temp swings again.  I printed a small object and had some small swings.  Then I was warming up to print again and the temp was stuck at 225Cish and then I could see smoke in my enclosure after the temp then instantly read 478C.  I hit reset to kill whatever was preheating, the max temp alarm went off, I let it cool down and clear out the smoke.

I am confused... I've tried printing from SD card as well today with the USB to the octoprint disconnected as well and still see these issues.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the power supply.  I've had them crap out in PCs before so figure I'll try to eliminate this as a variable?

I ordered a new E3D thermistor and heater cartridge from Filastruder. 

Power supply will be here this week as well.

I will try firing this up again when I get the new 350W power supply, thermistor and cartridge installed.  Also going to replace the silicon sock on the block... it's a little cooked from the 892F this block registered.

Can the einsy somehow kill a thermistor if the original einsy was defective?

Posted : 19/10/2020 4:58 am
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

I scoured Prusa's forums last night and the one thing I didn't try was to disconnect the power panic plug that folks have had issues with... (this is not a safety feature, it's a print continuation feature in the event of a power outage).  No luck.  Still gets up to near 240 and starts searching up and down again.  Parts from Filastruder and Amazon shipped.  

Posted : 19/10/2020 2:59 pm
karl-herbert
(@karl-herbert)
Illustrious Member

@jurassic73

These relays are controlled by the GPIO pins of a Raspberry Pi 3B+ without problems:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32855219447.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d6X816Z

Statt zu klagen, dass wir nicht alles haben, was wir wollen, sollten wir lieber dankbar sein, dass wir nicht alles bekommen, was wir verdienen.

Posted : 19/10/2020 5:11 pm
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:
Posted by: @karl-herbert

@jurassic73

These relays are controlled by the GPIO pins of a Raspberry Pi 3B+ without problems:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32855219447.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d6X816Z

Ah, nice.  Thanks for this, Karl.  I'm currently using a variant of this 3.3V relay board with an optocoupler.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983499479.html

I had just removed it from switching power for my printer as one less variable external to the printer when troubleshooting to no avail.

Posted : 19/10/2020 5:22 pm
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

Circling back on this... all is well and solid.

I reinstalled the original power supply and einsy.  Installed yet another thermistor(E3D).  Replaced the silicon sock.  Printed out a new fan shroud and extruder cover in polycarbonate(old petg ones were deformed from the thermal runaways).  Also installed a fan with custom duct blowing air up into my einsy keeping it at 40C or cooler inside my enclosure.  Also installed heat sinks on the stepper controller chips.

Something in this rebuild fixed my issues as it's been rock solid for over 50 hours of printing.  Shaking my head but happy. 

Posted : 20/11/2020 7:35 pm
Tekjunke liked
Marius Chirita
(@marius-chirita)

Do you know what the problem was in the end ? I have silmilar problems with one of my MK3s+ printer

Posted : 04/10/2022 2:10 pm
jurassic73
(@jurassic73)
Estimable Member
Topic starter answered:

As I noted in the post above yours, for some reason disassembling all my connections and reconnecting them did something to fix this. I had replaced multiple components and still had the issues so I'm thinking it was a loose connection somewhere. I would suggest running through all of your screw down connectors loosening and tightening them. The m112 error is very frustrating. However after reassembling my printer connections everywhere, my printer has been solid since without any more m112 errors. 🙂

Posted : 04/10/2022 2:44 pm
cwbullet
(@cwbullet)

That make sense and could be a potential cause.  

Posted by: @jurassic73

As I noted in the post above yours, for some reason disassembling all my connections and reconnecting them did something to fix this. I had replaced multiple components and still had the issues so I'm thinking it was a loose connection somewhere. I would suggest running through all of your screw down connectors loosening and tightening them. The m112 error is very frustrating. However after reassembling my printer connections everywhere, my printer has been solid since without any more m112 errors. 🙂

--------------------
Chuck H
3D Printer Review Blog

Posted : 04/10/2022 3:38 pm
Alexa Fujino
(@alexa-fujino)

I am having a similar issue. I haven't replaced any parts. I use octoprint with a raps pi 3 model +B. The hotend temp starts dipping at around the same time in the print and fails at almost the same spot in the print.

Posted : 12/04/2023 11:01 pm
Alexa Fujino
(@alexa-fujino)

Posted : 12/04/2023 11:57 pm
GudjonUnnar
(@gudjonunnar)

Had this same problem today with a 16 hour print at 95%, turns out the wire had broken to the thermistor of my Revo Six hotend, contacted the retailer which told me that it could possibly be a defect and has already sent me a new one, so I have some disassembling and assembly to do tomorrow

Posted : 29/06/2023 6:21 pm
y1618
(@y1618)

I had the same problem for a long time, but I finally solved it. In my case, the environment was MK2.5S, simplify3D, IKEA enclosure, RP3 octoprint and it was always occurring on the second layer. The solution is to set the speed of the second layer fan to 70% and increase it to 100% from the third layer in the simplify3D settings. Probably the heat block was not able to keep up with the 100% cooling of the fan starting from the second layer, so it became M112. For my problem, replacing the heat block and wearing silicone socks may be another solution.

Posted : 24/02/2024 1:53 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: