Notifications
Clear all

Loud even on stealth mode  

RSS
DFliyerz
(@dfliyerz)
Loud even on stealth mode

I've been struggling with my printer being loud a lot lately, and can't seem to pin down the cause(s) of the issue. This is right after re-packing the bearings completely with lithium grease and re-calibrating. The top x-axis rod does have some grooves in it, but the the balls shouldn't be riding in them and the x-axis noises happen even when in the area without grooves. Neither axis is particularly loud when moving slowly, but when doing faster moves they get quite noisy. The x-axis is quieter than the y-axis, but both are pretty loud. If needed I can get video of just x-axis and just y-axis moves. When I pick up the printer off the table it's slightly quieter, but still pretty loud. The mods I have that could be impacting the noise level are squash ball feet, reinforced y-axis motor mount, and cable chains.

This topic was modified 3 years ago by DFliyerz
Posted : 24/01/2021 2:24 am
DFliyerz
(@dfliyerz)
Topic starter answered:
RE: Loud even on stealth mode

Original video didn't upload for some reason, so here's the working video.

Posted : 24/01/2021 2:36 am
Peter M
(@peter-m)
Noble Member

Use a big tile under the printer(or more then one), to make it heavy and give less vibrations to the table.

The table could make noise.

The noise in the movie,  looks to me to be normal.

In the slicer settings I personally set the high speed moves to 100, then the highest speeds are gone.

In the slicer I use the quality settings, never the high speed ones.

Posted : 24/01/2021 5:45 am
DFliyerz
(@dfliyerz)
Topic starter answered:

@peter-m-3

I was using the speed modes, so I'll try switching to the quality mode and seeing if that helps. I would like to get a big tile but I'd need to find a local store that sells them. Also I was getting an average of ~50 dB with my phone right next to the printer on the desk, is that a good noise level or no?

Posted : 24/01/2021 7:25 am
DFliyerz
(@dfliyerz)
Topic starter answered:

I've re-lubricated the y-axis bearings again, modified the y-motor mount to make sure the motor isnt vibrating against the frame, and even taken the PSU off the frame to make sure it's not causing the noise, but I'm still getting loud noises especially on diagonal moves. I checked and it's loud even when the diagonal move speed is only 80 mm/s. I'm really at a loss now, anybody have any ideas on what I could try next?

Posted : 12/02/2021 10:36 pm
Dan Rogers
(@dan-rogers)
Noble Member

Search must be down 🙂  Standard upgrade path post build.

1. Squash ball feet eliminate the resonance transferring motor  noise to the table you put your printer on, and then down to the floor.  

2. Large zip tie around Y axis motor to eliminate Y axis motor rubbing on back chassis when bed moves in Y direction.

3. Large zip tie around middle of control panel (plastic rattles when the bed moves).  It's ugly but it is blissfully quiet now.

From there, most of the noise is gone, you will still be able to hear the stepper motor, but the chassis movement buzzes will all go away from just these three simple steps.  To get quieter, enclose your printer with a air tight door - prevents noise transmission thru the air.  Put squash ball feet under your enclosure or the resonance you quieted earlier will be back due to the hollow enclosure.  With double layers of squash balls, I cannot hear my printer at all across the room in an enclosure or in other rooms (resonance carries)

Posted : 12/02/2021 11:12 pm
Share: